gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Anyone have true marble countertops? I have some card questions...

A friend of mine has moved into a house with marble countertops. One of her countertops has a stain on it and she is afraid to try using too strong a cleaner on the spot. She was told or read somewhere that marble is more delicate than other stones so she’s nervous to try anything new.

I’ve never had real marble countertops, just granite and quartz. But I figured someone here might have marble-care tips and suggestions for her. Anyone? TIA!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Marble is very porous so stain likely won’t come out.

3isEnough is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I’ve removed stains from my marble about 5 times, it’s actually quite easy but I imagine it depends how long it’s been there. I learned of this method on the gardenweb forums and it works great. You take hydrogen peroxide (the cream kind you usually mix with hair color) and mix with a white absorbent material (I use diatomaceous earth) and mix the two to the consistency of peanut butter.

Spread over the stain and cover with plastic wrap. The plastic wrap is a critical step because it helps the poultice dry out. As it dries, it pulls the stain out of the marble. I have usually had to leave it for about 12-24 hours - basically until the poultice is almost a powder. It works everytime and doesn’t etch or damage the countertop. I’m sure she’s nervous about putting anything on there, tell her to google marble poultice and she’ll see this recipe or something close to it recommended by all of the experts.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 3isEnough View Post
    I’ve removed stains from my marble about 5 times, it’s actually quite easy but I imagine it depends how long it’s been there. I learned of this method on the gardenweb forums and it works great. You take hydrogen peroxide (the cream kind you usually mix with hair color) and mix with a white absorbent material (I use diatomaceous earth) and mix the two to the consistency of peanut butter.

Spread over the stain and cover with plastic wrap. The plastic wrap is a critical step because it helps the poultice dry out. As it dries, it pulls the stain out of the marble. I have usually had to leave it for about 12-24 hours - basically until the poultice is almost a powder. It works everytime and doesn’t etch or damage the countertop. I’m sure she’s nervous about putting anything on there, tell her to google marble poultice and she’ll see this recipe or something close to it recommended by all of the experts.
    Thank you for this suggestion! I’ll be talking to my friend today and she will be excited to have some hope!!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.