Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks! I just gave her strict orders that she should not run. In addition to cheer practice, she has a conditioning class in which the running happens.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Cheer does have a huge number of injuries compared to other sports. Do get PT. I know some philosophies about injuries have changed since I was in school (RICE has been abandoned for example) so I hate to give advice!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

As a young child in the 80s I took dance class and in ballet we were required to do middle splits, facing the wall (under the ballet bar) with our feet on the wall. Our dance teacher would then walk by us and push our butts/backs closer to the wall with her foot. As a 44 yr old woman that still is a vivid memory. No way would that fly now as appropriate (though no one questioned the Russian trained ballerina turned instructor back then!).
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Unacceptable! I too had visions of that horrible video from last year or whenever that was.

My daughter does dance. Her studio doesn't hire in the independent choreographers, but others do and I know they are pricey and a "big deal" and are oddly revered. So, I understand complaining might be met with resistance by the school's coach, etc.

But, this coach HURT your daughter. *They* sidelined her season. Her season would have been much better off without this person! What fraction of increased flexibility can one hope to gain this way? Flexibility has to be gained over time, not by force.

I'd be complaining to high heaven so they know how it happened and so it doesn't happen to another kid. This person is travelling all around and doing this everywhere. I'd try my best to get it stopped.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    As a young child in the 80s I took dance class and in ballet we were required to do middle splits, facing the wall (under the ballet bar) with our feet on the wall. Our dance teacher would then walk by us and push our butts/backs closer to the wall with her foot. As a 44 yr old woman that still is a vivid memory. No way would that fly now as appropriate (though no one questioned the Russian trained ballerina turned instructor back then!).
    Same!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I wonder too what your state and school district require as far as credentials/training for coaches? Maybe first aid/responding to emergency? But do they require any type of coaching certification? And is anyone brought in to assist or for a one-time clinic required to meet the same standards? With cheer there are a lot of private cheer companies who do all of the elite cheer dance team competitions not associated with school/college. I have no idea if anyone affiliated with those are officially credentialed as certified coaches either and I know that high school teams often hire those people to choreograph their routines.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2