View Poll Results: How often to do you pamper yourself?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • I never pamper myself.

6 18.75%
  • I pamper myself once/year or less.

9 28.13%
  • I pamper myself regularly.

8 25.00%
  • I don't pamper myself as much as I'd like because of time.

11 34.38%
  • I don't pamper myself as much as I'd like because of the cost.

10 31.25%
  • I don't pamper myself as much as I'd like because I don't want to.

3 9.38%
  • Obligatory other

2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have a dark brown unibrow if I don’t wax. I honestly wish I would’ve started at 13 or 14. I think plucking is painful.

I am hoping to go as long as possible without having to dye my hair though. I have made it this long I would love to make it another 42 years.

I got sucked into the whole pedicure thing about 5 years ago and I honestly love the look of polished toes. I find it relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I used to do a cut and color every 6 weeks now it’s just a cut every 6 weeks when I had my stroke they did a decompressive craniotomy and shaved most of my hair it grew back in my natural color which I honestly hadn’t seen in 20 years that color is now silver I actually kind of like it and there’s no way I could maintain color now I used to do touch ups myself at home but now there’s no way I could do that I also used to get pedicures monthly but I don’t think I could get into a pedicure chair now so I’ve let it go but I desperately need one I never got manicures and now frankly it’s the least of my concerns the stroke affected my left side so I’ll can’t use my left hand or arm at all and my left leg is still functional but not like it I used to love running and working out but now it’s just not possible

The stroke affected my left side and the recovery has been agonizingly slow
    Last edited by egoldber; 09-10-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post

I figure I save a ton of money (and time!) being so low maintenance. I do view pedicures, massages, and facials as pampering time, not "maintenance" because I don't see those as necessary at all.
    I am with you. I honestly feel very strongly opposed to all of these things being looked upon as "maintenance" because honestly it is so sexist! I don't want my girls to feel like they have to pour tons of money and time into their appearance to be acceptable to society. I think it's fabulous and great and fine for someone to do all of that for themselves, but the mindset that it is necessary or like basic hygiene makes me cringe. Like I have friends who don't shave their legs and it's OK! I have friends who wax and shave EVERYTHING and that's fine too! I don't buy into the mindset that all of these things are necessary.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t find any of these things as pampering. A haircut is necessary maintenance but the rest would be a burden and/or torture if you made me do them. I just don’t enjoy getting massages or having people touch my feet. I have my nails done occasionally and like the result but hate making time for it. Waxing just leaves me with a rash that is replaced by hair growth by the time it heals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I am with you. I honestly feel very strongly opposed to all of these things being looked upon as "maintenance" because honestly it is so sexist! I don't want my girls to feel like they have to pour tons of money and time into their appearance to be acceptable to society. I think it's fabulous and great and fine for someone to do all of that for themselves, but the mindset that it is necessary or like basic hygiene makes me cringe. Like I have friends who don't shave their legs and it's OK! I have friends who wax and shave EVERYTHING and that's fine too! I don't buy into the mindset that all of these things are necessary.
    I get what you are saying. Some of the differences may turn on whether you work in an office and want to wear sandals during warm weather. Obviously, in a business casual environment, men cannot wear any type of sandal for any reason regardless of the temperature outside. Women wear open toes or sandals in warm weather months. If I’m going to wear sandals, my toes are going to be polished. Of course, in no way do I have to wear sandals. I can wear closed toe shoes and never worry about my toes in a professional environment. But wearing sandals to work without carefully maintained feet is not professional. Same with my hair. I need regular maintenance to look professional.

If I didn’t work, I still would get pedicures because I would never wear sandals otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I'm not sure what I consider pampering vs. maintenance but here is what I do:
    Hair color/highlights - every 6 weeks. I usually end up getting it cut every other appointment, not every one since I've been letting it grow lately.
    Pedicure - every 2 weeks during flip flop season and every 3-4 weeks in the winter.
    Gel Manicure - I like it but not the upkeep so I'm sporadic. Always during the holiday season and if we have events where I need my nails to be finished.
    Eyebrows - every month

I've had massages but actually do not care for them. I get antsy instead of relaxed for some reason. But I LOVE a good pedicure and foot massage so I splurge at the foot spa for those. I should get regular facials but I don't. Maybe I'll think about adding that in the future.

Monthly, I have a standing dinner and drinks night with a few girlfriends. But I don't even see that as pampering since we all deserve to get away and connect with our own friends.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I get what you are saying. Some of the differences may turn on whether you work in an office and want to wear sandals during warm weather. Obviously, in a business casual environment, men cannot wear any type of sandal for any reason regardless of the temperature outside. Women wear open toes or sandals in warm weather months. If I’m going to wear sandals, my toes are going to be polished. Of course, in no way do I have to wear sandals. I can wear closed toe shoes and never worry about my toes in a professional environment. But wearing sandals to work without carefully maintained feet is not professional. Same with my hair. I need regular maintenance to look professional.

If I didn’t work, I still would get pedicures because I would never wear sandals otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I just painted my own toenails when I worked at a lawfirm and wore sandals. But I think it's perfectly fine for someone to wear sandals with unpainted nails as long as they are clean and well-trimmed.

Yes-I pamper myself with a good, hard run, bike, or swim 5 days a week. Exercise is everything to me--a treat, a necessity, a means to a goal, a way to stay sane. I love it.
    The other way I pamper myself is by trying to socialize with mom friends every month or so. I love my friends! We are just so busy with work. But I love when I see them!
    Haircut/color-every 6 weeks. i have a shoulder length bob so I need the cut. have lightened my hair since I was 25. now covering gray hair.
    Pedicure--maybe 4x a year. I paint my toes myself. I'm a runner so I need some calluses.
    Manicure--maybe 2x a year. But I buff and shine my own nails--no polish. easy.
    Massages--almost 1x a moth. I do them after every triathlon I do. These are more health care related vs. pampering.
    Brows-maybe 2x a year. I love it when they are done but finding the time..
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    But I think it's perfectly fine for someone to wear sandals with unpainted nails as long as they are clean and well-trimmed.
    YES!!! People in southern CA wear sandals and flip flops almost year round and I don't really know anyone who has their toes painted at all times. As long as they're not caked with dirt and are trimmed/filed I don't think anyone else would ever notice or care. I've painted my toes once in the past several years (for my 20 year reunion in June). I've never had a pedicure, but I put lotion on my feet after I shower and never go barefoot so I have no calluses.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm not into spa stuff, so my idea of pampering is different. It's mostly time. I am so busy right now, time is the hardest commodity. Last night was the first time in WEEKS that I did not have to be somewhere or do school work (I started grad school). It was amazing, even though it was veg out time with DH. And really, other ways I pamper myself are with small things. I no longer feel guilty about getting small things for myself if I like it. I got a nicer car for the first time last year and it is probably my favorite pampered item that I have.

I do "maintenance," too. I'm a little resentful though, I buy high end make up, bc it lasts longer and works better for me. However, my hair, my stupid hair. It is jet black, so EVERY single white hair shows and I literally have them everywhere. I finally gave up trying to dye at home and am now shelling out a small forture every few weeks to get it professionally done. I wish my hair would just go silver now, and I'd just keep it that way, but my mom is in her 70's and while she has dyed her hair, it has been salt and pepper for as long as I can remember and I am definitely falling in her footsteps where there is enough that it's noticeable in a bad way.

For health, I started going t a botique doctor, our health insurance, ironically sucks even though we both work at a health system. I'm realizing that I totally ignored my health (in terms of routine check ups) since I've had kids. I have always done ok with basic lifestyle choices (eating and exercise) bc my dad has a horrible history of diabetes and heart disease on his sife of the family, but I suck at the stress part and now that I'm working again, that is the part that is getting me, at a certain point I think it is due to my type A personality (I took a few months off between jobs and my bp went back down to normal, despite no change in anything else, it was basically work, even though I love working and can never go back to being a sahm again). I know my bp is creeping up, ugh. So, I am forcing myself to get on track routine visits and staying on top of it. I'm in my mid-40's and definitely feeling it and definitely want to make sure I enter my 50's in good condition to avoid more issues down the line.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast