Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Shoes/sandals/hose for cocktail party?

Hi all. Hope you can help me with footwear, since I am completely clueless when in comes to fashion and style.

I live in a cold climate, and have a cocktail party to go to in November. I haven’t been to a fancy party in years. I do have 2 possible dresses to wear, both just below or above the knee, and both have black in them, so I figure I can wear black shoes.

I have a pair of comfy higher-heel sandals that I’d like to wear. Since it’ll be cold, can I wear hose with the sandals, or is it a complete fashion faux-pas? I feel like it’ll be way too cold to go with bare legs. Or should I just buy a pair of closed-toe pumps to wear with the hose?

If it matters, the sandals are similar to this (not the exact style): https://www.softmoc.com/ca/i/skecher...dg-w/38472wbbk

I know they’re not so fancy, but I have VERY fussy feet, and pretty much never wear heels. They need to be comfy and supportive- I can’t really wear the very dressy strappy sandals that most people wear.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Gently...you can’t wear those with a cocktail dress. Those are daytime shoes. So, yes, just get some pumps if you need new shoes anyway.
    If I wear open toes, I don’t wear hose/ tights. It’s only cold from the house/ car/ party. Party should be warm.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree, no hose with those shoes. Generally, hose in general are out. Patterned hose or tights are more stylish, but wear what you are comfortable with. I have attended many parties over the winter with bare legs. If there is a walk I wear a long coat. Usually it’s just car to door that is chilly.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Do you have black booties...I’ve worn opaque black tights with booties with a dress

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Agree with the black booties rec.

I recommend you never those shoes, especially in the winter and with hose. If it’s super cold, tights are fine.

I have like 6 foot diagnoses these days. My goto shoes for dressier (Cocktail type) occasions are Vionic suede Camden wedges or Dansko Perlina. Mary Janes are super in right now.

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/p/...SABEgLr5PD_BwE

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Do you have black booties...I’ve worn opaque black tights with booties with a dress
    Baby Bargains
    Yes! This would be MUCH better and there's lots of comfortable booties out there.
    9904a05dd35ff8c9add0d40ba8283404.jpg
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, booties might be best as they can be comfy, adding black tights will help, and no on those shoes for a cocktail party.

Also depending on the dress, adding a moto style jacket is an easy way to look on trend.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much for your honest opinions/advice. I really am clueless when it comes to these things! I guess I will go with comfy pumps or dressier booties. Can anyone give me a few more links/examples of pumps or booties that would be appropriate? And should I be wearing opaque tights, or sheer hose? Aren’t tights more casual?

If it helps, I’ll be wearing one of these 2 dresses, with a little black shrug/mini cardigan.

192C69BE-A27F-4788-8949-05E120C4F564.jpg 317E7F6C-7373-49D3-80F6-5BFACF22732E.jpg
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In Chicago, seeing tights in cold weather in the winter is not uncommon. Bare legs also. I would get a moto jacket and not a shrug.

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Okay, WTH is a moto jacket?

I rarely go bare-legged, and I live in CA where it’s very common. I don’t care. Most fashion was designed by, frankly, misogynists who aren’t concerned about the health of your feet. Why be beholden to their fashion “rules”? Wear what works for you. There have been several good suggestions here.

I usually wear flats even though I’m short. My feet just cannot handle most heels, including pumps. I do have a couple of pairs of boots (one high, one bootie) that work for me. But I don’t wear them often.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast