Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our oldest just got his license last week and DH bought a new car so DS is driving our 2012 VW Passat. I like that it's not a small sedan and I actually like that it doesn't have things like backup cameras, etc... I feel like if you can drive a car like that you don't become reliant on them especially as a new driver. When I was looking into signing my DS up for a teen defensive driving course they recommended sedans for new drivers. In fact you needed to come with your own car and you could not take the class with a SUV. I thought that was interesting.
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    My dh is convinced everyone’s first car or at least their car in college should be a compact truck because you can’t take a lot of people and it is great for moving (and now they have tonneau covers :. We haven’t set a price but honestly if my sister sells her Altima DH will probably offer her about $2500.

I paid $4300 cash for my first non family owned car my junior year in college. I remember the shock of writing out that check....I cried. (My car my parents let me drive prior was an 88 Subaru GL wagon so it was 7-10 years old when I drove it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those small trucks hold their value like crazy. That was one of our options to look at.

Our standard line is that your first car should be at least as old as you are.

And yes, just buying the vehicle is only the beginning. Until all the license restrictions are lifted and DS's car is still considered my third leisure vehicle. It's only 250/year. When restrictions lift, it will jump to $1,000/year

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    Those small trucks hold their value like crazy. That was one of our options to look at.

Our standard line is that your first car should be at least as old as you are.

And yes, just buying the vehicle is only the beginning. Until all the license restrictions are lifted and DS's car is still considered my third leisure vehicle. It's only 250/year. When restrictions lift, it will jump to $1,000/year
    We said that the kids' cars would be as old as our cars were back when we were 16, thinking they'd be mortified, as we were back then. Our cars were both 10 years old when we got them.

Did the math though and realized a 10 year old car today is MILES ahead of that horror that was a 10 year old car in the mid-80s. Lol. Cars back then were a miracle if they made it to 100k miles, now that is more expected.

We got our daughter an super high mileage old Lexus for about $3.5k when she was 15. It was even older than 10 years old! It's not the best teen car of her friend group, but it isn't the worst either. Just a boring old sedan that won't die. I wish we'd have had a handmedown situation, but it didn't work out with what we had.

It has taken a beating in the school parking lot (some her fault, some not her fault, the parking lot is absolute anarchy). I wish they had upperclassmen and loweclassmen parking like we did in my HS. Here, it's all one lot so you are never not parking with 14.5 year olds. Lol.

My son is now 15, and he's just riding with her. We aren't planning on getting two teen cars, though many of my friends with kids the same spread are buying that second teen car. My son just isn't ready for a school permit anyways, and their activities overlap enough that she can be the chauffeur.

I recently got a myself new car, and I wish I'd have gotten myself a cheaper something she could take to college...... The car math changes a lot when you have teens!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My oldest just got his temps. We got very lucky that my brother just happened to buy a new car last year and he offered to give his car to my son! So, he's driving a subaru legacy sedan, our mechanic, who has been out due to medical issues, just finally got a chance to give the care a tune up (flushed out the transmission, changed out all of the spark plugs), only cost us a few hundred dollars including parts and labor to make sure it's good to go. We both use our cars, so he would have had to get his own car and we were thinking of a used subaru impreza or legacy, anywhere, so we were incredibly lucky that my brother was so kind and generous.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My husband is a mechanical engineer and likes to do most of the work on our cars himself. We also drive cars until
    they die. We have three cars, and the oldest will be the one my son uses most of the time. It’s a Civic and I think
    it’s around 20 years old. He’ll also sometimes drive our manual transmission Mazda3. He would love an older BMW (80s or early 90s) but we’d have to find the right one.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS is 16 and has been driving himself to school for a year. He has his intermediate license which allows him to drive at all times by himself except 12:30 am - 5 am. He will get his full license when turns 17 at the end of the month. We handed down our 2005 Toyota Prius to him, and bought ourselves a new Toyota RAV 4 Hybrid which definitely has more of the latest safety features. However, DS likes the Prius and didn't want a different car. He's a careful driver and while the Prius doesn't have all the latest safety features it is still a safe car, I have no qualms about any of us driving it still. I think in some ways it is good for him to learn "old school" methods like having to look all around instead of relying on the car to tell you what is going on. If he ever rents a car that doesn't have all the bells and whistles he'll know what to do. Only other step is to teach him to drive a standard shift, but he's not quite ready for that.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It's mind boggling to me how young kids can drive in some states!!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    It's mind boggling to me how young kids can drive in some states!!
    I know! In the state I learned to drive in, you could (and still can, though restrictions and requirements at various ages have changed) get a learner's permit at age 14. I had no interest in that, and my parents never would have allowed it, but I did start learning to drive when I turned 15. In the state I live in now you have to be 16 to get a learner's permit.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Here you can get your learners the day you turn 15 and must have your permit for 12 months before you can take your drivers test.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Quote Originally Posted by willow33 View Post
    Our oldest just got his license last week and DH bought a new car so DS is driving our 2012 VW Passat. I like that it's not a small sedan and I actually like that it doesn't have things like backup cameras, etc... I feel like if you can drive a car like that you don't become reliant on them especially as a new driver.
    I feel the same way. While all the new safety features are really nice, I believe kids need to learn to back up and park without relying on the camera. I don't like the thought of the camera going out and my kid not knowing how to back up safely

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast