Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our DD has her permit now and so we've just started to think hard about this.

My dad required our first cars to be manual transmission and I'm a big believer in that. It forces the driver to pay attention to the car, means they don't have a hand free for distractions and we also own a house in Europe and our car there is a manual as is pretty much any car you rent there.

We haven't gotten much beyond that other than to agree she won't be getting a Jeep Wrangler like 90% of the teens seem to have here (we have one and it definitely wouldn't be a good choice for her). She's also fairly petite and so I don't want her driving around in some big beast (like I drive).

Thanks to this thread now I have a lot more ideas!

I had always assumed I would pass down my car to DD1 in a few years when she turns 16 and starts to drive. Yet we're now talking about her driving my FIL's 2000 Lexus sedan. It will be 20+ years old by the time she drives it, but it's in great condition, has reasonable mileage (under 150K), and has basic safety stuff. We would potentially add an after-market rear view camera, but I think it would be good practice to not rely on a camera.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6