Thread: U.S. Census

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default U.S. Census

Ok, so I’ve put this off all summer. Finally sat down to fill it out and can’t believe the financial details requested. Did you pull financial records to report exact numbers or just ballpark figures? I would have been the person that filled it out last time but for some reason this time it feels very intrusive. Did you finish your census? Thoughts? TIA

Its not 2020 yet, so no census, right?
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Its not 2020 yet, so no census, right?
    Looks like it’s a pre-census survey that I received. Hmmm...maybe I can skip it...I’ll have to look into it.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Sounds like it’s the American Community Survey, which is run by the Census Bureau but unlike the decennial census, it is conducted every year and only a sample of the population is selected to participate. Like the decennial census, there is a legal requirement to fill it out completely and accurately. Unlike the dec census, it covers a wider range of topics.

For more info and answers to FAQs:
    https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/acs

Several family members who are social scientists were selected for the ACS for several years. They found it really interesting because they had used the data in their own research.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Ok, so I’ve put this off all summer. Finally sat down to fill it out and can’t believe the financial details requested. Did you pull financial records to report exact numbers or just ballpark figures? I would have been the person that filled it out last time but for some reason this time it feels very intrusive. Did you finish your census? Thoughts? TIA
    I got one, too. I didn't pull exact numbers but ballparked them as best I could. I'm the financial person in our family so I have a pretty good grasp on everything they asked. ITA that I found it extremely intrusive.

I definitely finished it as I think it is legally required.

For the 2020 Census, we had someone come to our door this weekend "to double check that the address of the house was correct." The lady doing the work said she was going to every house in the area.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It is required and they will hunt you down and bug you until you return it.

Ask me how I know.

And yes to the community survey response. It is associated with but separate from the census, and yes, it is extremely intrusive.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I worked at Census but not on the acs I would just ballpark and not worry about it
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)