Default All the Light We Cannot See - appropriate for 12 year old?

DS2 just checked this book out from the school library today. He's in 7th grade, so I was surprised to see the book in a middle school library. I haven't read the book before but I read some reviews online that mentioned a rape scene and strong language. For those that have read the book, would you let a 12 year old read it?
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

I can’t even remember. Salt to the Sea and Between Shades of Grey are young adult WWII novels that would be appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I LOVED All the Light We Cannot See! I didn't read it with a lens for tweens, but I do hope my teen picks it up and reads it.

There is certainly strong language, some violence, escape from violence, serious bombing, death, ect. If you have a child who is sensitive to violence, it might not be the best choice. However, I don't think any novels set in WWII would be.

Whenever I don't know about a book for my kid, we listen to the audio book together in the car. That way we can discuss the content. When DC wanted to read The Graveyard Book, that was our compromise !

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just read that and enjoyed it too. It's pretty heavy and sad story though, and I think in some places the writing might be hard for a tween to understand- but like hbridge I didn't read it with a lens for tweens. I could see a teen/HS student reading it but feel that it would be over the head of most tweens.

Re inappropriateness- there is some violence, death and tension. The rape scene is toward the end and I don't think it was overly graphic but it is clear what is going on-- it is toward the end of the book, one of the supporting characters is living in a foster/orphan home in Germany when the Russian soldiers come to town, and well, do what soldiers do when they take over the town of their enemy.

DD is twelve and a big reader but I can't see her reading this one at all. But if she did, I don't think I'd stop her- though I suspect she'd put it down because she found it hard to follow and/or too sad.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

My parents let me read whatever I wanted. I was 12 when I read Leon Uris "Exodus". I wasn't a sensitive kid. If I had questions I asked. But they never censored what I read. (granted, I wasn't trying to read "50 Shades of Grey"..)
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Yes. I would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk