Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default kid-friendly slow cooker recipes

DD has dance on Tuesdays from right after school until 5:30. I can probably run home during dance and throw something together, but I'd like to have a few slow cooker recipes on hand for when things get busy!

We made this the other night and it was a hit:

Chicken and Dumplings
    1 package frozen chicken breasts
    1 package frozen chicken thighs
    Put in slow cooker with 2 cans cream of chicken soup and a spoonful of chicken base
    Cooked on low all day (6am - 4pm).
    Shredded chicken into sauce and added 2 cans biscuits cut up
    Biscuits needed a little extra simmer at 5:30, so next time I would turn it up to medium when I put them in

But both kids loved it which is unheard of for my kids for slow cooker dinners. Next time I may add frozen peas or baby carrots, but they would probably eat around them. They both took for lunch in Thermoses later in the week too.

I know about salsa chicken but my kids don't love mexican-ish flavors.

Any other super simple slow cooker meals you make regularly that your kids love? Thanks!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    DD has dance on Tuesdays from right after school until 5:30. I can probably run home during dance and throw something together, but I'd like to have a few slow cooker recipes on hand for when things get busy!

But both kids loved it which is unheard of for my kids for slow cooker dinners. Next time I may add frozen peas or baby carrots, but they would probably eat around them. They both took for lunch in Thermoses later in the week too.

I know about salsa chicken but my kids don't love mexican-ish flavors.

Any other super simple slow cooker meals you make regularly that your kids love? Thanks!
    We make a similar chicken-and-dumplings, adding dried thyme, baby carrots, and sliced celery. DD forgets how much she likes it between batches.

DD likes chili (I use the McCormick slow-cooker seasoning packet and ground turkey) with cornbread (I get TJ's box mix.)

She's also fine with beef stew - I like the recipe from Chop Chop Magazine (which is a bit labor-intensive bc it calls for browning the meat before simmering.)

I feel like in your situation it's less about being "kid friendly" and more about figuring out what flavors work for your family's palates.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just made this Creamy Lemon Parmesan Chicken tonight in the slow cooker and my kids both loved it. (I thought it was fine but I wasn't in love with it -- but a dinner with no complaints and requests for seconds pretty much makes me love any meal!)

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/sl...mesan-chicken/
    Lizi

My kids really like this slow cooker pineapple chicken: https://damndelicious.net/2016/03/14...apple-chicken/ I skip the honey (sweet enough without it!), and use boneless breasts, not thighs. I also don’t bother searing the chicken first- I just dump everything in the crockpot. I also don’t bother to ‘baste’ it every few hours- I can’t since I’m at work!

Also, think I got this pulled chicken idea here- SO easy. Very popular- maybe you already do this.

Put some frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot, and cover with a bottle of your favourite bbq sauce. Cook on low for several hours (can’t remember exactly how many, maybe 6 or so?). When done cooking, shred with a fork, and serve on it’s own, on rice, in tacos or on buns (Sloppy Joes!).

I use a sweet bbq sauce that I know the kids will eat.
    Last edited by mm123; 09-12-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh, I bet they would eat the lemon Parmesan chicken and the pineapple chicken!

Only one of mine does BBQ sauce..

I think I need a beef equivalent of the chicken and dumplings recipe. I think they liked the biscuit dumplings and therefore ate the chicken next to it. I think maybe I could wing it

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Mine like cream cheese chicken.

4 chicken breasts
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 block cream cheese
    1 packet Italian seasoning

Cook it on low and when chicken is done (4-6 hours) shred the chicken. We serve it over rice.

Other recipes include chicken broth. Sometimes I add it if I want it
    Saucier. Some people do that and have it over noodles like Alfredo. My kids prefer
    It thicker and over rice though.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What about chili? You can make it non-spicy. And also add a dollop of sour cream or some shredded cheddar on top when serving.
    K

You know what's funny, I actually did a search on slow cooker recipes right before school started on this board!

Did you go back and look there are a few threads on this with some good ideas but I'm going to follow this thread!

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I keep meaning to make this recipe but haven't yet. If someone does, please write a review!

https://pinchofyum.com/instant-pot-beef-stew

ETA: I assume this is adaptable to a slower cooker.

Quote Originally Posted by bw52 View Post
    Mine like cream cheese chicken.

4 chicken breasts
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 block cream cheese
    1 packet Italian seasoning

Cook it on low and when chicken is done (4-6 hours) shred the chicken. We serve it over rice.

Other recipes include chicken broth. Sometimes I add it if I want it
    Saucier. Some people do that and have it over noodles like Alfredo. My kids prefer
    It thicker and over rice though.

I was just about to post this recipe as my kids love it and we serve it over egg noddles.

Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17...en-stroganoff/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast