Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Contractor Issue WWYD

I need advice on a new countertop installation issue. We are putting in new countertops on an outdoor kitchen and bar area. For background--we did a lot of work in our patio area a few years ago but we didn't do the new countertops then as it was too expensive. Part of the expense of the project was demo-ing the old countertops--it was a more extensive project than just replacing countertops. Anyway, we decided to go ahead with the project of replacing the countertops.

Picking out the stone was a chore since most of the stone I liked didn't look good with the current stone on the kitchen area but I finally found a stone that worked with the current stone and had the look I wanted (the slabs I chose were not characteristic of this stone and had a much cleaner look than most of the slabs within this stone).

The installer cut the countertops in the wrong edge. It's definitely his fault. He says he can't change the edge, so he either has to get new stone or we keep the edge he did. I think he will pay for the cost of the new stone since it was his mistake.

Anyway, I really don't know the best way to resolve this. Even if he waives his entire installation fee (which he probably wouldn't), I still paid a lot for countertops that weren't exactly what I wanted (the edge is quite noticeable and is a very different look than what I wanted). If we get different stone, there is no guarantee that I will find slabs like I picked since they were not typical of the stone. Also, it seems like such a waste since the stone was already cut but maybe he can use them for some other project. He has already cut all the stone and it's ready to be installed and it's gorgeous (except for the edge). What to do?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ask for a discount and live with it. It’s a minor detail in the scheme of things, I think. Once it’s all in, hopefully the overall vibe will be so good that the edge really won’t matter much.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

meggie t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Hmmmm. That is a hard one. You waited this long for the countertop. You want it the way you ordered it. Can you go to the stone yard and see if you find a slab you do like? If you find one, I would have him redo it. If you don't, I would keep it b/c I wouldn't want to wait for the right stone to come along. I think you have to decide what is more important - the perfect stone or the perfect edge. It stinks that you have to choose!

If you do decide to keep it, he needs to give you a discount.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It depends on how different the edge is from what you wanted, and how it goes with the rest of what you’ve got. I’d probably lean towards keeping with a discount.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

When he says he can't change the edge, does he mean he can't change it at all, or can't make it the one you wanted?

Is there another edge option that you could live with that he could change to?
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would first go back to the stone place to see what your options are. I don’t think you can make a decision until
    you know for sure there are no other pieces that will work.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How different is the edge and what edge style did you want! Pictures, pretty please!!! I consider myself someone who would be bothered to not get the edge style I wanted but my decision would probably be based on what edge style was mistakenly cut, and the overall look and feel of the project.

For example, our kitchen has demi-bullnose and ogee edge counters. I don't like them - I like the clean rectangular eased or square edge which also highlights the thickness of the countertop (if you have a thicker countertop) better, IMO. But we live with the bullnose and ogee (ogee is on the island) since we didn't have the budget to replace the countertops and were able to design around it so that everything pulls together really nicely and the edge styles don't bother me anymore once the entire design came together.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 09-13-2019 at 02:13 PM.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    When he says he can't change the edge, does he mean he can't change it at all, or can't make it the one you wanted?

Is there another edge option that you could live with that he could change to?
    He can definitely do the edge I want--he just already did a different edge. He says that if he changes the edge, it will change the dimensions so they won't work. There is about a 2" overhang, except around the grill area there is only 1.5" overhang. I thought he could just change it and we would have 1/4" less overhang but apparently that's not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    How different is the edge and what edge style did you want! Pictures, pretty please!!! I consider myself someone who would be bothered to not get the edge style I wanted but my decision would probably be based on what edge style was mistakenly cut, and the overall look and feel of the project.

For example, our kitchen has demi-bullnose and ogee edge counters. I don't like them - I like the clean rectangular eased or square edge which also highlights the thickness of the countertop (if you have a thicker countertop) better, IMO. But we live with the bullnose and ogee (ogee is on the island) since we didn't have the budget to replace the countertops and were able to design around it so that everything pulls together really nicely and the edge styles don't bother me anymore once the entire design came together.
    He did a demi-bullnose and I want something that shows the thickness of the granite--so you pretty much nailed it.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Dang. Given that it's an outdoor kitchen and you probably only have this ONE stretch of counter, you really want that edge to shine. So I agree with PP to go back to the stone yard and see if you can find something you like just as much. That demi-bullnose sucks. The ONLY other option I can think of if you love that piece of stone is to look for a thick backsplash that could take up some of the depth on the back side so that your stone can be re-cut with the correct edge...it sounds like you just need something to take up a little bit more depth to make it work. There are some beautiful thicker tiles that would make for a lovely backsplash, maybe even a concrete/cement tile. That would add expense probably, but maybe the contractor could cut you a discount that helps to cover the cost of changing the backsplash.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 09-13-2019 at 02:29 PM.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Did you want the full bullnose edge? If it helps, when we had our kitchen put in, I wanted a full bullnose. The counter guy recommended going with the demi-bullnose instead. He said that spills tend to “wrap around” the countertop and end up dripping onto the cabinets. I’m lazy so I took his advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast