Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    The edge isn't that bad and the stone still looks nice. One annoying thing with the demi-bullnose edge is that the light hits the countertop right where the edge starts and it seems like it just points out glaringly (no pun intended) that it's the wrong edge. But I'm sure that's because I'm concentrating on the edge when I'm looking at it right now.
    Ugh. Your situation stinks. I'm sorry you have been put in this position.

To your point above, DH woodworks as a hobby. Usually after making a project, he will complain about a "horribly obvious" flaw in his work. It takes him about two weeks to realize that he was too close to his project and that it looks amazing to the rest of us. He can then step back and appreciate the fact that his table or whatever looks gorgeous. If you decide to keep the edge, I truly hope this happens to you as well.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    That stinks! So you can’t get new stone since the installer and the supplier are two different companies? I think I would live with the bullnose rather than sacrifice overhang. I would push for a bigger discount since he’s pretty much backed you into a corner.
    I agree with this. The "right" edge on a too-short overhang is likely to look worse. The demi-bullnose is at least one of those "inoffensive" styles that wouldn't be a detriment if you were to sell your house. I'd definitely push for a bigger discount. It's a big mistake to make on a one-of-a-kind piece of stone that you can't get a replicate piece of since it's a naturally occurring pattern. The discount should probably come from the installer's cost since it was his mistake (and not the stone yard's mistake).

I also agree with jawilli4 that I bet it looks beautiful to an unbiased person!

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't get why you have to pay for HIS mistake? He should pay if he screwed up.

spunkybaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Also, even if you choose a new edge, I think he should give you a discount since the stone overhang will not be what it was supposed to be. And agree that the discount for keeping his mistake should be greater than 20% of the installation fee.

Quote Originally Posted by spunkybaby View Post
    Also, even if you choose a new edge, I think he should give you a discount since the stone overhang will not be what it was supposed to be. And agree that the discount for keeping his mistake should be greater than 20% of the installation fee.
    Even if he cuts a new edge, it's still not what he was supposed to do. You should be getting a discount with either decision!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I'm a dunce about all this, but could he do this type of thing, making it look thicker?

https://marble.com/granite-edges/lam...llnose-edge/29

LBW is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    They brought the stone and it looks noticeably thinner than the sample piece he brought with the different edge (which he brought at my request).
    Wait...does this mean you ordered the stone based on the sample (at a certain thickness) and the actual stone he's delivering is thinner? If so, I would expect a new piece of stone that is the correct thickness and correct edge.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    Wait...does this mean you ordered the stone based on the sample (at a certain thickness) and the actual stone he's delivering is thinner? If so, I would expect a new piece of stone that is the correct thickness and correct edge.
    I took it to mean the edge he used *appears* thinner due to the edge he used. Visual trick.

The edge he used doesn't "show off" the thickness like other edge choices do.

Are you really only going to lose 1/8" per side if he re-cuts it, OP? That seems like a really small amount!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3