Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ellies mom View Post
    Did you want the full bullnose edge? If it helps, when we had our kitchen put in, I wanted a full bullnose. The counter guy recommended going with the demi-bullnose instead. He said that spills tend to “wrap around” the countertop and end up dripping onto the cabinets. I’m lazy so I took his advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I actually hadn't decided but I was leaning toward an eased edge or maybe 1/4" round. I would have been fine with half bullnose because at least that shows a pretty thick edge but demi bullnose is way down on my list.

The outdoor countertop is highly visible from many windows in our house so it was worth it to get a nicer stone there. Anyway, it will be a visual point even though it won't be used nearly as much as our indoor kitchen, so basically, spills and such aren't as much of a concern.

Twowhat, there is already a very unique backsplash (stone, not tile) and it gives it a really great look so changing the backsplash is not an option. Also, there are two tiers to the countertop--the lower counter and the higher bar countertop which then has a round table off of it. It's quite a lot of stone but it is mostly at the tall bar height and that's why the edge seems so important. Having less overhang might be an option, but the contractor is making it sound like it isn't.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    I actually hadn't decided but I was leaning toward an eased edge or maybe 1/4" round. I would have been fine with half bullnose because at least that shows a pretty thick edge but demi bullnose is way down on my list.

The outdoor countertop is highly visible from many windows in our house so it was worth it to get a nicer stone there. Anyway, it will be a visual point even though it won't be used nearly as much as our indoor kitchen, so basically, spills and such aren't as much of a concern.

Twowhat, there is already a very unique backsplash (stone, not tile) and it gives it a really great look so changing the backsplash is not an option. Also, there are two tiers to the countertop--the lower counter and the higher bar countertop which then has a round table off of it. It's quite a lot of stone but it is mostly at the tall bar height and that's why the edge seems so important. Having less overhang might be an option, but the contractor is making it sound like it isn't.
    Uuuuugh that is SO frustrating!!! The overhang probably really is an issue - I was just looking at our counters and our demi-bullnose takes up a good whole inch of the countertop; the ogee takes up more like 1.25 inches. So depending on how deep your bullnose is, he would have to remove an inch, potentially more, of the edge in order to re-cut into an eased edge. That would mean only 0.5 inch overhang (at best) or 0.25 inch overhang (more likely) at the grill area which really will look bad. Ugh!!! I'm sorry

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

if it were me, and i LOVED everything except the edge, i would keep it. I bet that eventually the edge won't bother you.

The contractor is going to bring the stone out and just place it so I can decide if I can be okay with the edge. He says if I don't like it, he might be able to create a new edge but with significantly less overhang. So... two questions:

1. What's the least overhang that will still look acceptable?
    2. What kind of discount should I ask for if I either keep the edge or get less overhang?

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What is the edge it's cut and what is the edge you prefer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The contractor is going to bring the stone out and just place it so I can decide if I can be okay with the edge. He says if I don't like it, he might be able to create a new edge but with significantly less overhang. So... two questions:

1. What's the least overhang that will still look acceptable?
    2. What kind of discount should I ask for if I either keep the edge or get less overhang?
    I think that 0.75 or even 1 inch should probably be the minimal overhang, any less and it just looks like the counter is cut too small. I just measured all of ours (we recently had 3 bathroom counters replaced) and they all overhang by 1.5 - 2 inches, so that's probably standard. Of course if you have a bar the overhang should be much more. I think it's a good idea to have him place the counter and see if you can be ok with the edge.

Discount...tough one! I'd probably ask for 20% off the price of the stone and 30% off the cost of the labor for fabrication/installation. I dunno if that's fair or not, I just know I'd be super upset if I spent hours choosing the perfect stone and then had it ruined because they cut the wrong edge on it.

One more idea (a labor intensive one) would be to see whether it's possible to cut off a little bit of the cabinets from the back side to make them a bit shallower to accommodate a slightly shallower counter with the correct edge. You'd be limited by drawers if you have drawers but if you have all cabinets, then maybe this is possible.

They brought the stone and it looks noticeably thinner than the sample piece he brought with the different edge (which he brought at my request). Ugh, I feel like I will not get the best countertop whichever way I choose.

Can I ask for a discount on the stone since we met at a warehouse and I purchased it directly from the stone warehouse? Did he receive a cut from that stone purchase? They wouldn't share prices with me and I had to get them from the contractor so maybe it's obvious that he made money on the stone.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

They brought the stone and it looks noticeably thinner than the sample piece he brought with the different edge (which he brought at my request). Ugh, I feel like I will not get the best countertop whichever way I choose.

Can I ask for a discount on the stone since we met at a warehouse and I purchased it directly from the stone warehouse? Did he receive a cut from that stone purchase? They wouldn't share prices with me and I had to get them from the contractor so maybe it's obvious that he made money on the stone.
    It sounds like he gets a cut in the stone price. My contractor sends us to his suppliers but he passes on his discount to us and we pay his discounted rate.

After talking with the contractor, my choices are to either keep the stone and get a small discount (about 20% of installation) or he will cut the new edge and I will lose 1/4 of overhang (1/8 on each side). Cutting a new edge seems best but there's not a lot of overhang on parts (mainly because it is going over a stone kitchen island that has stones that stick out at varying degrees so the overhang is less over certain stones).

The edge isn't that bad and the stone still looks nice. One annoying thing with the demi-bullnose edge is that the light hits the countertop right where the edge starts and it seems like it just points out glaringly (no pun intended) that it's the wrong edge. But I'm sure that's because I'm concentrating on the edge when I'm looking at it right now.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

After talking with the contractor, my choices are to either keep the stone and get a small discount (about 20% of installation) or he will cut the new edge and I will lose 1/4 of overhang (1/8 on each side). Cutting a new edge seems best but there's not a lot of overhang on parts (mainly because it is going over a stone kitchen island that has stones that stick out at varying degrees so the overhang is less over certain stones).

The edge isn't that bad and the stone still looks nice. One annoying thing with the demi-bullnose edge is that the light hits the countertop right where the edge starts and it seems like it just points out glaringly (no pun intended) that it's the wrong edge. But I'm sure that's because I'm concentrating on the edge when I'm looking at it right now.
    That stinks! So you can’t get new stone since the installer and the supplier are two different companies? I think I would live with the bullnose rather than sacrifice overhang. I would push for a bigger discount since he’s pretty much backed you into a corner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast