Question Please tell me everything about buying new carpet!

We're replacing the carpet in our living room, and as much as I'd love to replace it with wood floor, it's 2-3 times more expensive than carpet. It's only a 225 sq. ft. area, but I'm wondering:

1. What material you'd suggest with kids and cats (with claws)

2. If you've replaced your carpet recently, have you gone with more of a pattern/ design, a basic all one color, or a basic style with a variation of color in it? Even though they look classy, I'm worried I'll get too tired of something with more of a pattern.

3. What's the best deal you've found? DH wants to get it through Home Depot, as they have free furniture moving, carpet rip-out, and new carpet installation right now. We're not Costco members, but can get a membership if the cost savings would be worth it.

4. Any color tips? Our couch is kind of a cognac brown leather, and the walls are a creamy color, but the surround for the fireplace is dark grey slate, so I'm not sure what color carpet to get. I like more warm colors (tan vs. grey), but I'm not sure if we can make the grey surround work with the couch (it looks strange now). DH said we could possibly switch out the fireplace surround- if we want to, he said that now is the time to do it since they'd be ripping out the slate on the floor right in front of the fireplace.

5. Is it worth getting the kind with the longest (25 year) warranty? We just moved in last year, and it would be great to stay here that long, but realistically, I don't know, and the warranty doesn't transfer to the new owners.

Anything else you'd suggest?

Thanks so much!

The only suggestion I have is go to a flooring store NOT lowes or Home Depot. We had to replace carpet in the master bedroom and bought from Lowes because they had it in stock. This was not their cheapest line either. 3 months later I could already see a worn path where we walked every day. If we hadn't had another plumbing issue and had been stuck with that carpet in a new house we would have been sick over that purchase.
    DS April 2010
    DS March 2016

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Honestly I was really surprised how relatively inexpensive our hardwood floors ended up being. We started looking into decent carpeting and got overwhelmed how expensive it was going to be. The floors ended being part of a larger construction project, but the floor installer our contractor used was really reasonable. I would ask around and see if you can get quotes to compare to carpet!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It didn't take much research to learn to steer clear of Lowes and HD for this. 1. You have no control over the subcontractors that get sent to do the install. 2. there's fine print involved with what "free" means. I didn't like the local company our Costco had a connection with so I didn't pursue it. Basically I spent a fair amount of time researching and wound up doing the following:
    -as we were also just doing a room, we went to a remnant store and found a great piece at a great price.
    -used the subcontractor our contractor specifically recommended. He had worked with him on many jobs and thus I knew exactly who I was getting. 95% of bad reviews out there for flooring stores center around the install crew.
    -I've now found a great local flooring store that I would also use. So, I advise getting totally away from the big box stores and asking all the people you know what they've done locally...then read reviews. Plenty of people have fine experiences with the big box stores or they don't really know better and accept things that aren't awesome: I'm always surprised by choices made by others.

1. you can easily touch the carpets and imagine what a cat can hook a claw into. The sales people will help too.
    2. Just a neutral. Bonus of going to a remnant store is once you narrow down to what fits your space, there'a lot less choice. Choices overwhelm me.
    3. above
    4. wall color can easily change so don't worry about that. I think tan sounds fine. And I think that would look just fine with the fireplace surround.
    5. No. Warranties come with too much fine print, especially with regards to $$$ things like required upkeep (professional cleaning schedule, specific vacuums...). Not close to worth paying for.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Summary- read reviews and find a good local company. Price out LVT and hardwoods too. You never know.

We replaced the carpet in our basement family room a few years ago. The one thing I recommend is, even if you go with cheap or mid range carpet, get the best padding you can. We used Home Depot and I will never use them again. The installation is ok but not fabulous, and one of their subcontractors stole a $300 car seat out of our garage while they were installing it. We were home, but not following them around as they went between the basement and their truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17