Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Work productivity

I’m struggling to get back in the groove at work. Any productivity or efficiency tips to get more done during work hours?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

What are you struggling with specifically? Here is what I try to do.
    To do lists -- realistic, prioritized
    Schedule work even if it is just me doing something (eg 10-11 work on ppt for sales presentation)
    Schedule breaks (facebook, coffee whatever distracts you) so you have a reward
    I tend to be more productive in the am so I try to do the harder work then and do the less critical stuff after lunch
    I drink a ton of water at work -- I have a huge bottle I keep full -- it keeps me moving (even if just to pee)
    I work standing up often
    I keep a notebook with everything in it.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Things are taking longer than they should to complete. I do have a notebook with everything in it.. I’ll try to plan out my day better with times I want to work on certain tasks

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

For me getting my email into shape was a big factor in improving my productivity. I can dawdle over email for eons.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    For me getting my email into shape was a big factor in improving my productivity. I can dawdle over email for eons.
    I don’t get a lot of email. I will though look for tasks that are taking up too much of my time.

Last edited by niccig; 09-15-2019 at 08:33 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Make a list of "15 minute tasks" - basically to-do items that take 15 minutes or less (or 10 minutes or less, or 5 minutes or less - whatever is appropriate for your line of work). Whenever you start feeling like you can't focus on a longer-term project, pick one of the items on this list and get it done. Then cross it off with a big fat marker. Often, that's enough motivation to move on to another item on the list, or to feel like you can tackle something bigger.

Be sure to add to this task list consistently so that you always have items to choose from! Two advantages of making a list like this: 1) it often helps you break down a larger task into much less intimidating 15 minute increments and 2) everyone has short, quick things that have to be taken care of and done!

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Make a list of "15 minute tasks" - basically to-do items that take 15 minutes or less (or 10 minutes or less, or 5 minutes or less - whatever is appropriate for your line of work). Whenever you start feeling like you can't focus on a longer-term project, pick one of the items on this list and get it done. Then cross it off with a big fat marker. Often, that's enough motivation to move on to another item on the list, or to feel like you can tackle something bigger.

Be sure to add to this task list consistently so that you always have items to choose from! Two advantages of making a list like this: 1) it often helps you break down a larger task into much less intimidating 15 minute increments and 2) everyone has short, quick things that have to be taken care of and done!
    This is a great idea. I often have 15-30 mins between sessions that I could use to get a task or two done. Some days I’m wiped from back to back sessions, so larger tasks seem impossible. Smaller tasks I could manage

Last edited by niccig; 09-15-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post

This is a great idea! For me, those tasks, which are usually phone calls or filling out forms/getting something ready to mail, are actually my dreaded tasks that I avoid like crazy. If they became breaks from harder, more time-consuming tasks, though, they might actually feel like little rewards. I’m going to try to flip my thinking on this and see if it works for me.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Things are taking longer than they should to complete. I do have a notebook with everything in it.. I’ll try to plan out my day better with times I want to work on certain tasks

What helps me sometimes is to set a timer for how long a task should take or how long I have to spend on a task.
    K

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do the easiest, quickest, or most enjoyable tasks first. That sort of gets momentum going as I can cross off stuff.

Unfortunately, this can also cause me to really procrastinate doing big things that I don’t want to do. Sometimes I can parcel those out and tell myself “I’m just going to write this one section then go do something else” and I can usually sort of snowball from there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast