Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default I wish I were a SAHM

I never wished for this when my kids were babies. Always wanted to get out of the house.

Now that they are in school, some days I wish I could drop them off and pick them up, get a nice dinner going, keep the house organized.

It doesn't help that this day is stressful and I have 1000 million things to finish before I leave for a trip on Thursday.

I'm taking a bunch of Fridays off this year so I can be home for their early release days. It feels like it can't come soon enough.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The elusive part time job is my Dream- set my own hours, work just sone days/ week and during hours that work for me. I’m pretty sucky at marketing myself so consulting isn’t going as well as it could be. Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am right there with you Basil. My dh and I never really had the conversation about me not working once we had kids as I was making a decent salary and always made more than enough to cover daycare costs. What gets me is that I live in a high to very high col area and it seems like there are so many sahms. I am sure it is a lot of the grass is always greener, but I hear you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Yeah. This job is not conducive to part time or to contract work or anything less than what I’m giving. I think I actually raised eyebrows asking for 10 Fridays off.

I would love a leave of absence for a year or something. To get it out of my system. I’m pretty sure I’d actually get bored and eventually want to go back. But that’s just not possible.

I think I’m just tired and grumpy today. I would love to be home wearing athleisure and thinking about fall decorations though!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Hugs to you. I have been an unplanned SAHM for 12 years. I am now trying very hard to return to my career but the 12 year gap makes it difficult. The original plan was for me to work until the kids were teenagers then retire. However I lost my job when first DC was 1 and for various reasons ended up staying home. For me, it was great when they were younger but now at 10 and 12 I feel I have way too much time on my hands. I do volunteer at school, go to gym, keep up w/ house, etc but not every day is busy and some are lonely. So I do think it often is a grass is greener scenario. I think many of us would love that perfect part time work situation that would allow for flexibility and good pay.

I know that it is definitely a grass is greener scenario. I know I’d miss it if I really did quit and I would feel guilty about all the waste of money and time on my education. But just not today I wouldn’t.

I also have visions of selling the house, moving to an island, and spending the days working in the garden and walking on the beach.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I know that it is definitely a grass is greener scenario. I know I’d miss it if I really did quit and I would feel guilty about all the waste of money and time on my education. But just not today I wouldn’t.

I also have visions of selling the house, moving to an island, and spending the days working in the garden and walking on the beach.
    That sounds like a lovely way to do life. I watch HGTV House Hunters International where people basically do what you describe and it just sounds like they’re onto something.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh, I hear you! I wish I could stay on top of everything, know our house was in tip top shape every day, interesting meals shopped for and cooked every night, time to do all the exercise I want, stay in touch with friends and family. And I do work 32 hours with flexibility and a short commute! I know I have it easier than many, but I find myself getting into work late EVERY day now so I can put in some laundry, pay bills, take the dog for a walk, etc. because I know when I get home at 4 or 4:30 I'll be shuttling kids or helping with homework or making dinner...
    I did start doing some meal planning at the beginning of the weeks, which I have never wanted to do (I like to cook on my whims), and that is helping with the last minute grocery runs which suck up all of those 8 hours I'm not working full time.
    But it's hard to see the seemingly relaxed and happy SAHMs with kid in school, and think about all the stress they don't have in their lives that working people do!
    That all said, I have often wondered if I didn't have work to occupy my mind I would spend too much time stressing about my kids and everything they do, so maybe best that I do have another outlet...
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That sounds like a lovely way to do life. I watch HGTV House Hunters International where people basically do what you describe and it just sounds like they’re onto something.

My mom legit has a friend like this. Retired, though, from decades as a teacher I think. Lives on an island, has a huge garden, chickens, and the husband fishes all the time. And she walks like 2 hours a day. I was talking the other day about how Sue seems to exist in this other universe where nothing ever stresses her out. Not hurricanes, not 30+ people coming over and pitching tents in her yard for a party, not typical island drama and politics. I’m jealous but don’t think I could really ever be her.

And I’m sitting here fuming and stressing about stupid work emails.

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I never wished for this when my kids were babies. Always wanted to get out of the house.

Now that they are in school, some days I wish I could drop them off and pick them up, get a nice dinner going, keep the house organized.

It doesn't help that this day is stressful and I have 1000 million things to finish before I leave for a trip on Thursday.

I'm taking a bunch of Fridays off this year so I can be home for their early release days. It feels like it can't come soon enough.
    I'm a SAHM and I too wish for days that are not stressful, the house is organized and dinner is simmering away on the stove smelling delicious. The truth is, my house is a wreck 99% of the time and we eat hot dogs and quesadillas way more than I should admit. Parenting is hard any way you slice it.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast