AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Just take the damn donation....school auction bitch.....

So for the last 7 or so years I have been able to get a well known local jeweler to donate a $200 gift certificate to our school’s auction with no problem. I am not a big shopper at this jeweler just bought my husband a watch about 10 years ago and have taken my wedding ring there a few times to get it worked on. So the last two years the manager tells me he wants to donate something to the live auction and the committee tells me that they want to limit their I’ve auction items to keep it exclusive (they do a wine tasting w/a winemaker dinner, a dinner cooked by a chef, a dinner with the pastor, 4 preferred parking spaces that sell for $2500 minimum, a suite at Staples Center, etc.) and it just really ticks me off that they will not consider a live piece of jewelry to be auctioned off. Are these people stupid? I went to another local event and the same jeweler auctioned off a $2000 necklace, plus brought some of his stock to the event and then donated a portion of the profits to the charity. This isn’t the exact same crowd that would buy a $10,000 set of earrings and a necklace from a display case for charity, but it is close at the live auction probably raises $15k to $20k if not maybe closer to $30k on it’s own. I am sure someone would happily spend $1000 to $2000 on a $500 to $2000 necklace. Oh well just my bitch and this is my last year securing the $200 gift certificate (my daughter graduates this year) so in the future if they change their mind about expanding the live auction they will have to hope that they can get other donations elsewhere because I think they are stupid for limiting the live auction to just experiences; it used to be more expanded a few years back, but it got scaled back a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-16-2019 at 11:29 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That’s frustrating. I do see their point though. As one that plans these events, you learn what works and doesn’t for live auctions. Like them, I found the experiences do lots better. Plus, a gift certificate is tricky because it has a clear value. It’s a good thing to include in a situation where maybe you have to buy a ticket for a chance to win it or in a silent auction basket paired with other stuff. Don’t worry, I’d never turn a donation down though! I might just get more creative. Again, I’d be annoyed too! Thanks for doing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Maybe they can do a "gift card tree". We did that once for an auction and it was a big hit. We had all sorts of gift cards, everything from Cold Stone to Apple to movie theaters. We used something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Adeco-HD0017-...49132617&psc=1
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Just take the damn donation....school auction bitch.....

Thanks! There was never a problem with live auction items sticking around because those go to the highest bidder. The $200 gift certificate as a silent auction item has always sold the night of so it isn’t the silent auction item that is the problem. There are other silent auction items that stick around for a week or two post silent auction until they are sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)