Question Youngest DC going to K; starting back to work

Anyone have a hard time with the life stage of your youngest going to kindergarten? And how about going back to work after being home for a long time? Were there any books that helped you with the transition, or did you seek counseling, or other things?

Anything that helped you get excited to enter this new phase, and to be motivated to look for a job?

I worked very part time last year, but took this year off to be home with my youngest before they start K next year. I want to enjoy this time, but also need to start mentally preparing for next year, and I'm sure I'll be in mourning for various reasons.

Everyone I'm friends with has been working all this time, or will be staying home indefinitely, so I'm not sure who I can talk to about my feelings IRL (other than DH, but it's not the same ). I know that I need to work again to bring in an income to help with house projects, retirement and kids' college funds, trips, etc. But I'm just not excited for it and need to find a way to shift my mindset.

Thanks for your input!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Your little one doesn’t have the same sadness you do- they’re probably going to be excited to start school! It’s not the end- it’s a new fun beginning! And it doesn’t take very long (in my experience) to the new reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hmmm, this is tough!

My youngest will also start K next year and I'm kind of in your same shoes. I don't have great advice, but one thing I've noticed is that while I'm living the SAHM life, I'm happy, I can't imagine going back to work right now, don't want to, etc.

But - if I get involved in some conversations that have to do with my old career field, I get all excited about it again. I pulled up job listings awhile back even though I wasn't ready to start working again, but reading job descriptions that felt like they matched my skills/interests was exciting and made me want to start applying again. So, perhaps as you actually get started looking/preparing, you'll be able to get more into it? I'm sure that will vary a lot depending on your field and such as I know the job search can be really stressful, too, but hopefully actually getting into it will help.
    Lizi

I was in your exact shoes 18 months ago with my 4 year old in his last year of preschool. That spring I started volunteering in an area I was passionate about, thinking I’ll volunteer 10-15 hours a week. 4 months later, a contact from training reached out to me to ask for my resume as she was looking for a part time position to be filled in.

I send it in and lo behold I got the job after 2 rounds of interviews. Worked PT 20 hours a week as I told them I still had to do the daily 1pm pickup, and now little over a year with them I was asked to be FT.

Some days it’s hard to juggle everything, but I really love it and believe in what I do too. It gives me tons of flexibility with 2-3 days working from home and other days in office mostly for meetings. And now I don’t feel so sad when my 5 year old started kindergarten, it was time and he was very ready and thrilled to start same school as big brother. So that definitely helped me, to see him happy and we’re in a very different stage of life than the last 8 years with babies, toddlerhood and everything else that went with it. We’re all more mobile, no naps, easy to travel now, more involved in our community with different activities and friends. So try to reframe your mind like that, and think of all the benefits the new stage brings to you and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14