Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I got my Takeya at Target when it was on clearance. I have also seen them at TJ Maxx, but refrained from getting another, bc I have a problem with insulated water bottles, lol.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    People who are recommending other brands are missing the point.
    They're middle school girls. The brand is what they want. Just like C9 from Target may look like Athleta Girl, but if it doesn't have the right emblem on the leg, it's no good.
    Hydroflasks are just the thing right now. If they weren't expensive, they wouldn't be a thing.
    (from the aunt of an 11 year old niece who is trying very hard to keep up with the trends...) My 9 year old DS was happy putting the free stickers he got from various places over the summer on his freebie stainless water bottle from the library.
    I have a 7th grade girl and I will say yes, yes, yes to this. I'm sure the popular item-of-the-moment can vary by geography, but it's all about the logo. My DD needed black athletic leggings for dance. I was not going to buy her the most popular brand just for the label. That's me. I got well made ones from Forever 21, and she was happy. They we're way less than Athleta.
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So, I clicked on this thread b/c my two in elementary are asking for larger water bottles (our school has a filler, but they say they never have the time to visit it). It’s the first I’ve heard of water bottles being a middle school status symbol. I also have an 8th grader, and if Hydroflasks are a thing at her school, she’s never mentioned it.

That doesn’t mean they aren’t a thing, just that DD1 doesn’t seem to have noticed it yet. She uses a beat-up, 4yo Contigo.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    Totally. My MS boy ditched his hydroflask that he's used for 2+ years because they're such a popular girl thing now. Cracked me up - he's carried that thing all over the world and suddenly decided it's "too cool, mom."
    This VSCO girl thing is EXACTLY why my DDs did NOT want Hydroflasks!!! LOL!!!

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My 8th grader told me the same thing. That the VSCO thing was stupid and hydroflasks were so associated with that, that most people at his school poke fun at it. I asked if girls are doing the VSCO thing at his school and he said he has not noticed any particular girls who were trying to fulfill this stereotype.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

I’m so glad my kid isn’t into this stuff. She thinks it’s cool to NOT do what everyone else is doing.

As I posted in my running shoe thread, my kids are not into shopping/trends in the slightest, they have no idea what VSCO girls are (I do, they don't!) But why is it so bad if teens are? They have the rest of their lives to be serious/cynical. If they think it's fun to be a VSCO girl and take selfies and want to save the turtles and drink from metal straws and reusable bottles why can't we just let them be? I don't let my kids call things other kids are into "stupid". Is it okay to not stop unkind behavior if it's aimed at "stupid" trendy tween girls? If my kids said "playing chess is stupid and we poke fun at it" I wouldn't let it fly any more than making fun of VSCO girls.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am laughing because it is actually just like my DD, but I had no idea what this is. Hydroflasks are designed here, and she has had the same one for many years. She carries it for environmental reasons, but she also has the birks, the messy bun, shirt, carries around a straw in her backpack, and whatever else. For spirit week they are doing VSCO girls next week and I am thrilled to know what it is. I got to completely make her cringe yesterday when I asked her about this, thank you BBB! LOL

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    As I posted in my running shoe thread, my kids are not into shopping/trends in the slightest, they have no idea what VSCO girls are (I do, they don't!) But why is it so bad if teens are? They have the rest of their lives to be serious/cynical. If they think it's fun to be a VSCO girl and take selfies and want to save the turtles and drink from metal straws and reusable bottles why can't we just let them be? I don't let my kids call things other kids are into "stupid". Is it okay to not stop unkind behavior if it's aimed at "stupid" trendy tween girls? If my kids said "playing chess is stupid and we poke fun at it" I wouldn't let it fly any more than making fun of VSCO girls.
    Only problem is it’s pretty elitist thus leaving out a lot of people. Some trends are more accessible but so many things on the VSCO list are $$$...like teens getting in their jeeps to go watch the sunset (I got caught up on this whole thing)...rich kids get that stuff but a lot of kids will be left out and that’s already rough at those ages without adding the layer that only some kids will ever be able to have all that stuff. Now, I’m sure plenty are happy to rock some scrunchies and a hydroflask. But, I’m sure lots of trends have had the same issue over the years. If my kids were into trends I would only indulge so much before it became a “get a job and pay for that yourself” moment. Sorry about the soapbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Right. There just seems to be a certain level of privilege that goes with being a VSCO girl. As people in this very thread have said, it HAS to be a Hydroflask water bottle. So sorry little Sally, whose parents can only buy the $18 Contigo and don’t have the bandwidth to chase sales to find a value Hydroflask. At the end of the day I don’t really care if people are VSCO girls, I do care if people are being left out the circle because they don’t check all the appropriate VSCO boxes. But I feel that way about everything. I mean, the story of girls destroying their current $40 water bottles simply so that they can get another color. Goodness!
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast