bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Structuring my time now that kids are in school! Your best tips!

What do you do once your kids are in school?

For me, I do have to fit in 10 to 15 hour of work and that eats into my time a lot. But I can work those whenever!

I feel like I'm still just completely in love with having a few hours a day to do whatever I want! The reality is that with work I feet almost anxious with those minutes--trying to squeeze in absolutely everything I've been waiting to do for the last 16 years.

Would love real life tips!!!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I go to the gym immediately after drop off. I run all errands before noon. Everything gets more crowded as the morning wears on- early is best.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Exercise! Exercise! Exercise! I prioritize things that I prefer doing without dragging kids along. Groceries, returns, Costco runs, any shopping for the family, exercise all get done while kids are in school. I try to do some cleaning and organizing while I’m solo but some of it works just as well when the kids are home. Laundry, kitchen cleaning, straightening of the rooms we use most all can be done while my kids are home doing homework so I tend to leave those types of things for later. Take some time to just enjoy the silence. Get out and walk around your town. Sit still and read a book. Do all those things you haven’t been able to do for the last 16 years.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I go to the gym immediately after drop off. I run all errands before noon. Everything gets more crowded as the morning wears on- early is best.

I agree. I drop off and drink my coffee and then work out and shower. If I have an errand to run I either do it right after drop off or right before pick up. I schedule appointments right after drop off as well. My evenings are a hot mess of crazy most nights so I try to give myself a little nothing time in the afternoon too.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    I agree. I drop off and drink my coffee and then work out and shower. If I have an errand to run I either do it right after drop off or right before pick up. I schedule appointments right after drop off as well. My evenings are a hot mess of crazy most nights so I try to give myself a little nothing time in the afternoon too.
    That's how I structure with days I WFH and do all of my exercise/errands right after boys get on their bus in am, then work from home. I usually input in our shared work calendar so coworkers know who's available and not bother me on my work phone until time I log in. Evenings is just too hard with only one free evening and I keep that to just hang at home together cuz weekends are taken up by their sport activities, away games or tournaments or hanging with their friends.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

This too! I have a similar work schedule as you (10-15 hours). I dedicate 2 days and try to get 5-6 hours in on those days. I consider the others days to myself and fill in with work as necessary.
    On my 3 days off the only thing that is absolutely fixed is my 9:00 am class at the gym.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OK this is super helpful. I have a few things that box me in so I have to work around them. I have fitness classes on Tuesday and Thursday that I do with my SILs. We also hike on Fridays. Also, those classes are close to my work! So those two days are good work days. If I go STRAIGHT to work from exercise I can get only about 3.5 hours each from them. But it works great because I do the high school carpool on those days and I work right next to the school so those are no brainers. My problem is finding a third day to get maximum hours in. I think I pretty much have to do 4 days or else give up exercise! I pretty much need to get all my cleaning and errands into one day. And I have something scheduled every day left over. I feel like I never have enough time to do it all. And I feel so lame complaining because reading this back over its evident I've got a pretty cushy situation! I guess I just probably need to try a few things and keep rearranging.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    OK this is super helpful. I have a few things that box me in so I have to work around them. I have fitness classes on Tuesday and Thursday that I do with my SILs. We also hike on Fridays. Also, those classes are close to my work! So those two days are good work days. If I go STRAIGHT to work from exercise I can get only about 3.5 hours each from them. But it works great because I do the high school carpool on those days and I work right next to the school so those are no brainers. My problem is finding a third day to get maximum hours in. I think I pretty much have to do 4 days or else give up exercise! I pretty much need to get all my cleaning and errands into one day. And I have something scheduled every day left over. I feel like I never have enough time to do it all. And I feel so lame complaining because reading this back over its evident I've got a pretty cushy situation! I guess I just probably need to try a few things and keep rearranging.
    I didn't answer because although I have a set schedule, no two days are alike and there is very little down time so it is difficult to answer. I go for a run or walk everyday after drop-off, but I have a different time limit (35 to 65 min) depending on the day. That will switch with the weather, but now it perfect outside weather. There is a group of mom friends who walk/run that same trail 3x week, but they go later than me, have different schedules, and not as many set commitments where they need to be somewhere by X time. I join them Fridays when I can and enjoy it so, but I really have to be on my own the other days because I need to get it done and move on with my day. I only have time for errands on Friday, but that does not include grocery shopping. I started grocery shopping in the evening during sports practice. It is plenty of time and there is a store close. I drop them off at practice, go to the store, come back and pick them up. Every one is home after, DH has dinner reheated, so grocery put up takes 5 minutes with everyone helping. So without grocery shopping (which I hate), Fridays are pleasant for me! I can usually walk with a group in the am, meet a friend at some point or even to run errands together. I clean/do house chores a little everyday after I come back from running and shower. I've always done that and never was someone to spend a whole day cleaning, but it's a necessity now. 3x week that includes dinner prep, too, because I have to cook dinner as soon as we get home from school so it is ready after practice. I volunteer 2 x week. The day I volunteer at school, I have an hour down time before pickup and DH has been meeting me for late lunch which we have so enjoyed. So although it is super busy, I feel like I have a good balance of getting stuff done and getting social time in. I do not have your # of hours, though, but I know you will find a balance that works for you.