Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default which hardwood floor color to choose?

We are putting in hardwood floors in a new to us house and having trouble deciding what color to go with. Most of our furniture is dark (like cherry or mahogany), the window trim on the house is also dark, like cherry color but not cherry wood. We have been considering hickory (too busy?) and various shades of oak...in our old house we had the standard golden oak 2.25 inch hardwood floor, and I want something different, but not to buy all new furniture if hickory is too busy/light for the existing furniture we have. DH is set on hardwood or engineered wood, no vinyl. Anyone love their hardwood floor color?

Our new home has hickory and we love it. Oak is super classic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love our dark walnut floors but I don’t think that color will work with your furniture. I would get samples of the ones you like and look at in house at different times of day. Also look at them against your furniture.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We did natural finish and love it. It’s a nice contrast to dark furniture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I love our dark walnut floors but I don’t think that color will work with your furniture. I would get samples of the ones you like and look at in house at different times of day. Also look at them against your furniture.
    Do you find it hard to keep clean? I had kind of talked myself out of dark floors, though I love them, because I keep reading they are hard to keep clean. I don't think dark walnut would work with our furniture either but we had considered cherry.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Do NOT get dark HW floors. This is what we did for our last house. Yes, it looks gorgeous, BUT every single speck of dust or drip or mark from the kids and dogs... you can see it. It is impossibly difficult to keep clean, so when we moved, we specifically looked for houses with lighter HW floors. We just had our family room HW floors refinished and kept it natural (they just put a clear stain on it) and it ended up matching the pecan stain on our kitchen cabinets. We think that it is timeless and it doesn't show every single mark, dust, scratch like our dark HW floors did. We basically want nothing to do with dark cherry looks for furnishings anymore, bc we made that mistake once before.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We have white oak with a coffee stain. I was worried it would be too dark but it hasn’t been too bad

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Go lighter!! We used to have dark wood floors (Brazilian cherry) and now we have white oak in a light stain that is warm with a touch of gray tones and OMG LOVE IT. It’s Naturally Aged Flooring Medallion Collection in the color Aspen Hills. It’s engineered hardwood. Dark floors were SO much harder to keep looking clean.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Do you find it hard to keep clean? I had kind of talked myself out of dark floors, though I love them, because I keep reading they are hard to keep clean. I don't think dark walnut would work with our furniture either but we had considered cherry.
    I consider them a medium dark. My mom has floors that are much darker and they definitely show everything. Our floors definitely show more than a lighter color would. We have a lot of rugs so the only large space of floor is in the kitchen. We have weekly housekeeping and I run the Roomba when we are out a couple days a week. Before we had a Roomba I would sweep under kitchen table a couple days a week. I do not find it that difficult and to me the look is worth it but if you have several large areas without rugs then it may be more upkeep.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I consider them a medium dark. My mom has floors that are much darker and they definitely show everything. Our floors definitely show more than a lighter color would. We have a lot of rugs so the only large space of floor is in the kitchen. We have weekly housekeeping and I run the Roomba when we are out a couple days a week. Before we had a Roomba I would sweep under kitchen table a couple days a week. I do not find it that difficult and to me the look is worth it but if you have several large areas without rugs then it may be more upkeep.
    I agree with this. Our white oak is medium dark and not too difficult to keep clean. I insisted on a roomba when we went darker than original yellow oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast