Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question S/O girls' trends, what are late elementary/ early middle school age boys into?

My nephew's bday is coming up, and I'm wondering if there are any cool trends that tween boys are into? He plays hockey and soccer, if that helps. Anything $40-50 or under?

Thank you!!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have a soccer player but not one that’s into brands or trends. I actually fished around to see if he knew of any popular brands or had opinions about what sneakers I should buy him. Solid nope on both.
    He was thrilled with his new portable ball pump the other day. His old one broke and he wanted his ball to be perfect.
    I think you’ll find vast differences on what’s cool/ popular from school to school too so I would ask the parents rather than crowd source on here.
    The only thing I’ve noticed is the “sporty kids” tend to rock shorts and tall socks year round here. (Though my kiddo plays sports, he doesn’t put himself in their category.)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Last year I would have said vbucks or PlayStation dollars for fortnite purchases. This year maybe Champion sweatshirt, Nike gift card, lululemon socks (size up).

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The boys all wear socks pulled up with slides (usually adidas, Nike or under armor) which I think looks so dumb but it's what they wear when not wearing athletic shoes.

A t-shirt or hat from his favorite hockey team is always a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I bet he would love a sporting goods gift card to pick out whatever he wants--socks, slides, or a new ball.

I’m not seeing socks pulled up right now, although I did a few years ago. I see a lot of footie socks. Maybe the trend hasn’t hit here yet.

New slides would be a great gift.

ha98ed14 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    The boys all wear socks pulled up with slides (usually adidas, Nike or under armor) which I think looks so dumb but it's what they wear when not wearing athletic shoes.
    Another parent told me that this look for boys-- the oversized / long shorts that hit them at their calf, the pulled up socks and the slip-on shoes-- that's all coming from the look of men in jail / prison, where inmates' pants are too big and they wear no-laces shoes because laces can be used for nefarious activities. That look is also worn by some gang members here in SoCal. If it's true, it's crazy to me that prison sets the standard for fashion.
    Mommy to my One & Only 05.07

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DS is emulating sports figures, he sees the Chicago Blackhawks and other hockey players warming up and wandering into practice wearing that style. Athletes have been wearing the socks and slides forever. I get some may think they are trying to be wanna be gangsters but my kid at least is far from that, even if he wanted to lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Default S/O girls' trends, what are late elementary/ early middle school age boys into?

Quote Originally Posted by ha98ed14 View Post
    Another parent told me that this look for boys-- the oversized / long shorts that hit them at their calf, the pulled up socks and the slip-on shoes-- that's all coming from the look of men in jail / prison, where inmates' pants are too big and they wear no-laces shoes because laces can be used for nefarious activities. That look is also worn by some gang members here in SoCal. If it's true, it's crazy to me that prison sets the standard for fashion.
    I’m laughing out loud. That trope has been repeated since the 80s. In fact, I personally heard that in 1987 from a holier than thou older loser sibling of a friend, specifically about unlaced shoes.

So no prison fashion doesn’t set the standard. However, hip hop culture and athletes do. I’m not sure how many prisoners have Off White slides.

Note that the trend for shorts right now is shorter, higher and above the knee. Check out how college basketball players are wearing shorter shorts. So, no, calf length shorts are not the trend!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I have a soccer player but not one that’s into brands or trends. I actually fished around to see if he knew of any popular brands or had opinions about what sneakers I should buy him. Solid nope on both.
    He was thrilled with his new portable ball pump the other day. His old one broke and he wanted his ball to be perfect.
    I think you’ll find vast differences on what’s cool/ popular from school to school too so I would ask the parents rather than crowd source on here.
    The only thing I’ve noticed is the “sporty kids” tend to rock shorts and tall socks year round here. (Though my kiddo plays sports, he doesn’t put himself in their category.)

I think our boys are pretty similar! I always agree with everything you say!

My 10 year old (5th grade) could also care less about trends or popular things. His friends are all sporty and wear athletic shorts daily with Nikes, but he doesn't. He doesn't like to wear athletic shorts to school and neither does 16 year old DS1. He's into video games, but not Fortnite. He plays Overwatch. For birthdays he'd prefer cash or an Amazon gift card so he could buy more Pokemon cards or candy!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast