Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Sleepover activities?

So my girls are turning 13 and they are hosting their first sleepover. They are inviting four girls that we have known for years and years, so 6 girls total in my tiny, tiny house.

Good news is these girls are all super sweet and none have phones so it will be an old-fashioned style sleepover, no devices unless they listen to music on my phone.

We have a karaoke mic and they are planning to watch Aladdin.

I thought about getting this book but was concerned about the appropriate-ness of the questions, anyone have it?

https://www.amazon.com/Questions-Gal...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They will probably play outside on the slack line for awhile although it will be getting dark early so maybe that won't last as long as I'd like.

I do want to come up with some more activities. They like games and we have a ton of those. We've done a lot of different crafts at parties before (already done necklaces, bracelets, painted rocks, tie dye tees, decorating cupcakes.)

Whatcha got for me?

Default Sleepover activities?

I think you will be set. I just hosted a sleepover (10 year old boys), and I didn’t do anything. They mostly played outside, and they particularly enjoyed playing Ghosts in the Graveyard after dark. I didn’t allow video games or devices. At some point I put on a movie (national treasure), but no other electronics were involved (other than an echo dot for music).

For 13 year old girls, you can add nail polish for painting nails, or face masks, or some sort of baking activity. My DD is 13 and she and her friends love baking.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No need to plan anything in advance, except having lots of snacks. Do you live in a walkable neighborhood? My kids like to walk with friends to go get ice cream and we are like a few blocks from everything.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My daughter and her friends also love doing crafts together. They get excited about them in advance. Lol. At one of Dd’s Sleepovers they split into pairs and made different color jellos with fruit in them. They enjoyed waiting for them all to solidify and taste each other's’ Jello. That was fun and cheap. Last year they mixed up gingerbread cookie dough to make cut-out mini gingerbread houses, decorated them and baked cookies for them each to take home. They spent a lot of time on that, trying to get their houses right. We also used 3-D cookie cutters to build objects with their cookies. They spent a lot of time on that too. Another year they had a cup-cake decorating party. Then they ate them. We have also had a “build your own ice cream sundae”, bar. That went over well but didn’t take much time.

Some non- food things have been a scavenger hunt with clues. One time we made individual invitations out of a large poster board on the back of which we had drawn a major clue. We cut the poster board into invitations. The girls had to bring their invitations to the party and work together to put the poster board image back together and figure out the clue. It lead to other hidden clues which led to more, etc. Another time I saw a container of plastic figures in the Target dollar spot so we hid them all over the main floor of our house. They had to find all the hidden figures before they could move onto the next fun event.

I know you have done tie-dyeing but have you done dyeing with sharpies and rubbing alcohol? That’s also pretty fun and much less messy. As soon as the alcohol dries, the color won’t spread. Maybe instead of doing teeshirts you could do swatches of fabric or blank white scarves, if you can find some. Once they are dry you can show them how to do Japanese fabric origami (can’t remember what it’s called). It’s ways of tying scarfs to make purses, gift wrap, etc. The Lush cosmetics website had a link to the folding and tying techniques.

At that age, the girls might enjoy making Koolaid lipgloss with solid coconut oil. That was easy for each girl to make her own little pots of lipgloss. And of course, each girls wants to make little pots with all the different flavors/colors so buy like 10 tiny pots for each girls (cheap on Amazon). Last year we made lotion sticks and lotion bars scented with essential oils (since it was close to Epiphany right after Christmas we scented the lotion with frankincense and myrrh and used food-grade gold dust. They were beautiful!!). . Pretty easy to make and that was their take-home prize. You can find links for all this stuff on Pinterest, of course but if you are interested in any of those, I’ll dig out the recipes we used.

oh, I just thought of another thing. My dd and her friend spent a ton of time enjoying learning to knit. There are a couple of good YouTube l videos that will show beginners how to knit basic kitchen scrubber sponges (with that scratchy yarn you can find in bright pretty colors at Hobby Lobby). You can get cheap packets of knitting needles on Amazon to give the girls. The girls would talk and giggle about how they would screw up and unravel it and start over. They seemed to love that.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 09-22-2019 at 06:29 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jenstring95 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don’t know what you were planning for food, but you could do make your own pizzas. Just supply dough, sauce and toppings. I agree that you don’t need to plan much, though. Kids are great at coming up with their own activities!

We haven't had a lot of sleepovers. But the big hit when we did was the girls were all playing outside, and I baked cookies. They came in to cookies and hot chocolate and they were beyond thrilled! So maybe when your group is on the slack line you can bake.

I think karaoke is a great idea! One of my DDs' friends brought a machine and it was fun. (I resisted joining in...but it was hard!)

Charades is fun. DDs and I even play that on snow days when it's just the three of us.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Also, build your own sundaes is always a hit for any age, gummy bears, M&Ms, other fun toppings, caramel sauce and the whipped topping in the can that they will have fun with!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Honestly, for our sleepovers, I don't come up with planned activities other than maybe going to a movie. Most of the ones my kids have been to are similar. The kids come over, they play, at some point I tell them to go upstairs and let them have popcorn/cookies/drinks while watching movies. Then I go to bed & they act silly until 2-3 in the morning, at which point they wake me up & I tell them to go to bed.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Thank you guys, there are some great ideas here. In the past, we have relied pretty heavily on food for a lot of our fun but this year both the girls asked to tone down the sugar and junk because they want to feel well for the evening. We've had so many health issues, we've had to clean up our diets.

gatorsmom, your ideas are awesome! I actually have dozens of pairs of knitting needles and can teach that myself if they are up for it.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Thank you guys, there are some great ideas here. In the past, we have relied pretty heavily on food for a lot of our fun but this year both the girls asked to tone down the sugar and junk because they want to feel well for the evening. We've had so many health issues, we've had to clean up our diets.

gatorsmom, your ideas are awesome! I actually have dozens of pairs of knitting needles and can teach that myself if they are up for it.
    Thank you. . Dd and her friends love doing crafts when she has friends over. Otherwise they get bored and start looking for DD’s brothers (who usually don’t want giggling girls bugging them). So I get the materials out and remind them of the things they could do. Then I kind of back off and let them do whatever they want (unless it’s cooking). But usually the girls or Dd will call me out to work with them or help them with whatever they are doing. Most of the time, the girls just start talking and telling me stuff about themselves and their families while we are crafting. It’s fun getting to know the girls. If Dd gets sick of me being around, she lets me know. For her last sleep over with just one friend I got out a bunch of old, unopened makeup samples and let them go to town. I might have supplemented with some stuff I saw on clearance at Target too. Anyway, they came out of the bathroom 2 hours later all made up and laughing hysterically.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.