Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default College admission scandal

This is mind blowing. you know it’s happening, but this guy monetized is as a business! It’s disgusting… I hope all these college admissions scandals change the admissions process because now they know they will be scrutinized, but It looks like these were individuals who were targeted. There are many other scandals about college admissions and how they make their selections, but this particular case doesn’t appear to be targeting the colleges themselves.
    Widespread bribery
    Hiring someone to take their kids’ standardized tests for them
    Photoshopping kids’ faces onto other students bodies to pretend they played a sport so they could apply as recruited athletes- what happens when they actually get there and have to play a game or perform at an academically rigorous college? What are they teaching their kids?

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/12/70253...ssions-scandal
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

There was no need to do this. These kids are from wealthy families and their lives would be fine even if they didn’t get into Yale. Though it would mean mommy and daddy couldn’t brag about their Yale grad! Oh the horror of your kid not getting into Yale or Stanford!!!

What will happen to their kids? Do they stay in these colleges now?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This doesn't surprise me at all, unfortunately.

ETA: What it teaches the kids is that money buys you anything you want.
    Last edited by TwoBees; 03-12-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I’m only surprised by the fact with the low numbers. I expect the figures would be higher, and maybe that is the case. But no hard evidence to link further people to make solid announcement and legal action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Aunt Becky from Full House and Felicity Huffman. This is terrible. I'm surprised this hasn't come out sooner. I'm sure this kind of stuff has been going on a long time. Whatever happened to getting into a college based on merit. I am sure there are way more people involved than this.
    Last edited by MMMommy; 03-12-2019 at 03:37 PM.

I have no doubt there are many more such scandals, and I hope the people Involved get caught!

Locally we’ve seen a lot of cheating on tests in the classroom and even students hacking in to change grades or resume embellishing with fake activities, and I’m sure hiring people to write their essays. All these things affect college admissions, too, Though most of the time either they aren’t caught or they get off easy.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

There were CEOS, Mossimo (designer), others too. As niccig said, These kids already had it made!

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default College admission scandal

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I’m only surprised by the fact with the low numbers. I expect the figures would be higher, and maybe that is the case. But no hard evidence to link further people to make solid announcement and legal action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Apparently Singer, the main perpetrator said he had helped nearly 800 students!! This may just be the first wave of students that was caught on wiretap as the justice department was investigating, more probably will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 03-12-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It just doesn't seem worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    It just doesn't seem worth it.
    Some people just aren't used to being told no. In this case I mean the parents not the kids.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast