Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help...Dealing with cold sore??

Poor thing...DD2 has a huge cold sore! As no one in our family has ever had them, a week ago DH told her it was just chapped lips - stay on top of moisturizing. Fast forward to yesterday, it has spread like wildfire. I bought some clear Origel but the application system was ridiculous and 4 vials lasted one day. Trying Abreva now with fresh aloe vera applications in between doses. She is absolutely mortified about going to school tomorrow. The splotchy redness has spread more laterally away from the sore so between the large crusty lesion and the red splotches, I can completely understand. Middle schoolers can be so $&@%# mean...and especially now when they are have their S@x-Ed “Growth and Changes” class. I am so afraid someone is going to say she has herpes on her face.

Anyway...any BTDT advice on how to get beyond this difficult phase?? I told her a positive is that now she knows exactly how it feels when it first starts developing...start treating it with meds ASAP and it might not even erupt next time (and unfortunately I am sure there will be a next time). TIA!!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

The first outbreak is always the worst. Did you see anyone to get an antiviral prescription?

I've had luck with Zovirax ointment but it is a prescription. Antiviral pills need to be taken almost immediately, but could still be worth a try.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, I understand her worry about school, they learn about herpes and of course they are so immature at that age. If it's really bad can she stay home? Sometimes a day can make a huge difference if you are treating it correctly. My brother and mum got then all the time and I was grateful I never did.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have had them all my life. They do suck. I take Lysine (OTC) as soon as I feel anything, and I have not gotten a full blown one in years. Probably something to do with getting older, but the Lysine has been a big help. I also notice stress and sun are contributors.

I used to take Zovirax pills at the first sign, but now the Lysine means I haven't gotten a prescription in years. I never found any OTC gels that worked for me - Abreva was useless. I do like Zilactin, but it is pretty harsh and stinky.

It may help to know that it is Herpes Simplex 1 - not 2, which is the sexual kind.

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Poor kiddo, cold sores suck. I get them periodically and have found Compeed cold sore patches are helpful. They're basically eraser sized clearish bandages that blur the sore and keep it covered as it heals. I usually order from Amazon and they take the slow boat from the UK so I'd buy some how for the next time. If you want to buy something locally today Walgreen's sells Quantum health brand covers too. They work better than nothing but don't tend to stay on as well as the Compeed.

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I, honestly, cannot thank you all enough for all of your advice! I will definitely look into the medication (I remember reading about lysine as a supplment) & coverup suggestions. DH is taking her into the doctor in the AM before school to see if there is something that she can take during this later stage. I definitely want to be prepared for next time but soooo hope that we can get this one under control sooner than later. It is huge, crusty, and so uncomfortable.

Yes...I know that that it's is H. Simplex 1, and so does DD, but kids are just mean.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes, please let her stay home! So not worth dealing with the immaturity and ignorance from classmates.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    I have had them all my life. They do suck. I take Lysine (OTC) as soon as I feel anything, and I have not gotten a full blown one in years. Probably something to do with getting older, but the Lysine has been a big help. I also notice stress and sun are contributors.

I used to take Zovirax pills at the first sign, but now the Lysine means I haven't gotten a prescription in years. I never found any OTC gels that worked for me - Abreva was useless. I do like Zilactin, but it is pretty harsh and stinky.
    Yes, definitely take lysine as a preventative, it really works! My best friend gets could sores and swears by lysine as well.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I get cold sores, as does my husband, and the only thing that I have found that works is Valtrex. If it starts to develop and I feel the buzz, or start to see it, I take 2 and then 2 12 hours later. It almost always cuts the time in half, and stops it from the huge crusty blister which is awful and mortifying. What I get I can almost always cover up. Zovirax never worked too well for me, but I always have Valtrex with me if I travel (and usually keep some in the car!). Even if the blister has started, it helps it not keep spreading or get worse.
    Unfortunately for me, it used to take a full 2 weeks for it to disappear. But now it's much quicker.
    So sorry she is dealing with this!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast