After a recent neuro visit it seems likely that there will be an Alzheimer's diagnosis forthcoming. Mild "eposides" that stray a bit more away from normal have been occurring over the past 6 months. More tests will be performed for a definitive answer but I am not expecting any miracle, although I am surprised as no one in the family has been diagnosed. Since this is still early stage, mom and I want to go ahead and finish all of her planning as needed to ensure wishes are respected.

Already done many years ago - healthcare/financial POA, and I have ownership of her modest home (Life estate). We will be contacting her CPA and consult with an Eldercare lawyer. She wants to go ahead an prepay burial expenses.

She is a widow and I'm the only child so thankfully I won't have to deal with any family dynamics. While hopefully we have a few good years left, I also need to get as much planned as possible with 2 small children of my own. I know she would like to stay a long as possible in the home but at some point will need to go to a memory care facility. She does have life insurance, SS income + small pension, and an IRA as well as LTC policy that I believe will cover her first 5 years. At some point, will need to plan for Medicaid as movement into the memory care facility will be about double her monthly income and have no idea how long that could be. She is 78.

I live about an hour away so not too far and luckily she has a good local network. I think we can solve for most of this but would love to know any experiences especially things to consider that I haven't. Like for instance, I have no idea how funerals work and I will have to manage that. Likely I won't be thinking clearly and am a planner. I don't want to overlook something b/c I was ignorant of it.

Any little insight would be immensely helpful to help deal with the tactical tasks of care and end of life.