Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you decide to consider other programs, see if Upward sports are offered in your area. This is a Christian organization, so the teams/games are usually organized as an outreach of a large church. One of the things I loved about this program is that before the season begins, all of the kids 'try-out'. During try-outs, the kids are evaluated for skill and teams are created that have an equal mix of beginning through advanced players at each age level. Before each game, the coach will give a player a colored wrist band to wear. During the game, the player plays against the player from the other team with the same wrist band. This results in the advanced player defending against the other team's advanced player and the novice player defending against the other novice player. There are a lot of other things I loved about the Upward program, but having balanced mix of experienced and beginner players playing against equally skilled players was brilliant.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have played Upward sports for year and they’ve been great for our kids.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    No, you don't want to be win at all costs, but you do want to be somewhat competitive.
    Once you get past a certain age the whole "let's just have fun" goes out of the window. Not because of the coaches/parents but because most kids realize winning is more fun than losing. Even when the coaches don't tell them what the score is, they're keeping it in their heads.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Our rec league requires coaches to play each player equally. A parent is assigned to track minutes played to document and make sure it is even.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

This is usually pretty specific to each different coach. It sounds like you have one who is not as inclusive as they could be. There is probably nothing you can do this year, but next time you register, you can be explicit that you want or don't want a specific coach. I have 3 boys, we've done so many sports, when you get a coach like that it frickin' sucks, in our case we have had several baseball and soccer coaches who favored their own kid as the superstar player and their friends' kids or their kid's friends.

Ask around to see what different programs are like and how the coaches are. I personally do not like hypercompetitive coaches who are trying to relive their youth through coaching peewee sports.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2