Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Packing up for a renovation stinks

We are finishing 2/3 of our basement. I can't fit 2/3 of stuff into the remaining 1/3 of space and since it's only temporary, I don't want to get rid of it. I've been pretty ruthless with purging but the stuff that has made the cut has to be somewhere for like 3 months. I don't know where that is. All this work packing makes me just want to move! Total first word problem, I know. On the plus side, we really have done well with storage solutions! Just not quite enough. Oh, and I forgot that it isn't just the "stuff" but it's the Stuff- buckets, plunger, mop,...ca't pack that away, don't know where to put it.

Hats off to those of you who function every day without a basement to put all this crap in! Trying to keep our garage available for an actual car to use but I might have to give up. But then I need to figure out what can survive fall/ winter temps of a garage!

Just procrastinating...

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We are finishing 2/3 of our basement. I can't fit 2/3 of stuff into the remaining 1/3 of space and since it's only temporary, I don't want to get rid of it. I've been pretty ruthless with purging but the stuff that has made the cut has to be somewhere for like 3 months. I don't know where that is. All this work packing makes me just want to move! Total first word problem, I know. On the plus side, we really have done well with storage solutions! Just not quite enough. Oh, and I forgot that it isn't just the "stuff" but it's the Stuff- buckets, plunger, mop,...ca't pack that away, don't know where to put it.

Hats off to those of you who function every day without a basement to put all this crap in! Trying to keep our garage available for an actual car to use but I might have to give up. But then I need to figure out what can survive fall/ winter temps of a garage!

Just procrastinating...
    I know this is the bitching post, but for situations like that which is temporary; try renting a POD? It can stay in your driveway and frees up your garage for the car during colder months..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Thought about it but not enough space nor enough stuff to really merit one. You reminded me though that we did use our covered patio for some things when we did the other phase of renos.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Check into renting a storage locker. For a few months and a small size you’ll be surprised how little it costs. Way worth the sanity of not having to live with the overflow in your every day spaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Check into renting a storage locker. For a few months and a small size you’ll be surprised how little it costs. Way worth the sanity of not having to live with the overflow in your every day spaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    The packing up and sorting is the bigger problem. Add to that loading the car and all that...I'll just keep going. It's doable here. Just annoying. (the closest storage charges $80/ month- I'm too cheap for that when faced with just a few days of being annoyed packing! )

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    The packing up and sorting is the bigger problem. Add to that loading the car and all that...I'll just keep going. It's doable here. Just annoying. (the closest storage charges $80/ month- I'm too cheap for that when faced with just a few days of being annoyed packing! )
    I get it!!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes yes yes.

Beware... our renovation ended in June and it’s October and I’m still sorting through the packed away crap. It’s consignment sale type stuff, but ugh... it’s cluttering my pretty new spaces! I would have donated it all but I’m working full time and unable to make progress for the next month.

Can you store stuff under beds, in the backs/tops of closets, in a corner of a kid’s room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did one of the pods they deliver to you and then take away, can’t remember the cost, but it is nice to not have to live with the clutter.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I hear you....my kitchen is done but I just don’t feel like unpacking everything just to pack it up in another 8-10 months when we move. Everything is in the wrong place and it is driving me batty, but once I get everything reorganized I think I am going to donate or just keep stuff packed. We have way more storage than we had before!

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I hear you....my kitchen is done but I just don’t feel like unpacking everything just to pack it up in another 8-10 months when we move. Everything is in the wrong place and it is driving me batty, but once I get everything reorganized I think I am going to donate or just keep stuff packed. We have way more storage than we had before!

We need pics of your kitchen!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast