Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    - anyone know anything about the independent living areas near these areas (I've found 2 online and called both) -- any elderly consultant (does this exist) in the area?
    We uses "A Place for Mom" to help us investigate living options for my mother-in-law when she was thinking about relocating to a new state. It's like a real estate agent for senior living options. Facilities signup to participate in the service.... and the decision in part seems to be based on the facilities current waitlist/success in filling rooms without the service. https://c.aplaceformom.com/?&kw=3234...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

A friend's grandmother lives in this community and speaks highly of it:
    https://thegatewayretirement.org/contact-us/

There are probably more senior housing options in Rancho Bernardo than Poway- what level of care are you looking for? We also used A Place for Mom to help us find out about different options available when we were looking for a place for my parents prior to my dad's passing.

From your signature tag, it sounds like you'll have 8th/10th grade kiddos next year? Are there certain things you're looking for in a school? Schools west of the 15 freeway are generally newer and more access to technology. I teach at the newest high school in the Poway District and we have a highly competitive, driven population. Lots of AP classes available, and we run on the trimester schedule, as do Mt. Carmel in Rancho Penasquitos and Poway High in Poway. The other 2 comprehensive high schools, Westview and Rancho Bernardo, run on the quarter system. All of them have their pros and cons, but are generally well regarded. My kids are zoned for Poway HS and I'm perfectly happy at the moment to let them go there, even though I teach in the district- this may change as we get closer to actual decision time, but for now I'm not worried about it.

4S Ranch generally has lots of newer, larger homes which are accompanied by higher HOAs and Mello-Roos (add'l payment to cover cost of creating infrastructure in new communities). Very family friendly with lots of access to parks, hiking trails, various recreational and competitive sports options, etc. There are also a number of memory care facilities in the area, so if you want to be close to that type of facility for your mom, that's something to consider. The middle school options in this area are Oak Valley MS and Design 39 Campus (actually K-8 with a focus on project based learning and using technology to facilitate learning). The high school is Del Norte, although there's a private Christian high school just down the road too if you're considering going the private route.

Poway has a lot of older areas, which also often means larger lot sizes- North Poway is a bit more spread out neighborhoods and generally considered the more desirable part of the city. Homes are generally well maintained, and I'd say there's a lot of pride of ownership. There's 2 middle schools in Poway, Twin Peaks MS and Meadowbrook MS- both are pretty good, my daughter is at Meadowbrook because we found the larger variety of electives available there to be a better fit with what we wanted for her MS experience. Some kids who live in Poway may also be zoned for Bernardo Heights MS, which feeds into Rancho Bernardo HS.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions to the area- I've lived in Poway since 2008 and love it here, so I'm happy to be a local resource if you need one!

arivecchi is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Just wanted to say congrats! Sounds like an exciting move! San Diego is awesome. I’m sure you will love it there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4