My husband of 18 years passed away unexpectedly while on a bike ride at the end of September. He was 47. My kids and I are trying to come to terms with it. I still think I'm going to wake up and the last 11 days will have been a bad nightmare.

We're past the period of funerals and family visits. I'm now in paperwork hell. Dealing with the aftermath of death seems designed to be cruel.

Please...this weekend...go over all of your financials with your spouse/partner. Make sure you know passwords for all critical accounts. Make sure you have plenty of life insurance and an up-to-date will.

Here's my question. I now have to be the healthiest mom for my boys. I made an appt for a physical next week. What do I ask the doc to test? I haven't had a physical in years b/c I've been focused on my kids (one has special needs and has required a lot of my time). I'm generally healthy. I have asthma and struggle with my weight. (I'm probably ~15-20 lbs overweight right now.) My dad has a history of emphysema and aortic aneurysms (but he smokes a lot). Thank you.