Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Does the college u attend guide where u live?

My ds is a sophomore in high school and picking a college is very overwhelming. He states he doesn’t want to live in IL once he graduate college. He loves nature but is also planning to major in computer science.

My question is do you think it’s important to go to school where you hope to live/work. I know it’s not imperative but would love your thoughts. I have lived in IL my whole life and hate the weather but our jobs don’t allow a move.

What areas do you think are good for COL and nature but not in the middle of nowhere.

TIA

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We aren’t considering that when looking for colleges. I’m sure for some they stay put because they make job connections through college internships. I have a senior and college choices have been about the college (location, programs...)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I went to schools in Kansas and Ohio, then moved to New England for a job. I never thought I would stay in Ohio when I went to grad school there, it was just a stepping stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I don’t think so. I am from Atlanta, went to college in Baltimore, and came back to Atlanta for grad school. DH grew up in Louisiana, went to college in Texas, met me when he was working in Atlanta. We have lived in northern Alabama for almost 20 years.

I don’t think so. I am from Atlanta, went to college in Baltimore, and came back to Atlanta for grad school. DH grew up in Louisiana, went to college in Texas, met me when he was working in Atlanta. We have lived in northern Alabama for almost 20 years.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I dont think so. I went to college in Maryland live in Florida DH is from CA did under grad in CA traveled and worked for his fraternity for 2 yrs went to grad school in Georgia and we now live in Florida ( met when he was working in MD) It would have to be an amazing job offer to get us to move now. Love FL schools are amazing no state income tax and lots to do. My older 2 boys went to college in Maryland moved to Virginia for work then grad school Im not sure where they will end up but Im betting not Virginia
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't think where you want to end up working and living really matters as to college choice. I think the ability to afford college and what programs they offer is more important. Although maybe less popular on this board, so many of our friends IRL are sending kids to a community College for two years and then transferring to a 4 year program.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I only think it affects where you want to live/work if you want it to. I.e. - I know plenty of people who stayed around the area they went to college -- because they went to college in an area they liked, and they continued to like the area post-college, so they stayed there. But I also know plenty of people who did NOT like the area where they went to college (or were just open to job options anywhere) and who now live way far from where they started.

I do think that there are some schools that draw primarily from their own state/area .... and in these places a lot of graduates stay around the area after college -- not because college choice affects that, but just because they chose the school in part for location, so they stay around that area. There are other schools that draw from a much larger catchment area -- and I think that often in these schools you see a lot more diversity with where students go after college -- but that's only because a lot of people go look for jobs around they area they're from.

I think that the programs offered/cultural fit of a school is much more important than the location. I went to school in the Midwest, and have lived and worked since in many areas of the country.
    Lizi

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My husband and I both went to our in-state university, bc that is where our families are at. We moved away after college and ended up back in this state, but not due to college, but due to family. Neither of my brothers stuck to the states where they went to college.

I feel like it's probably more common for those who chose in-state universities, due to their families being from that state, who stay in that state, but not bc of college, but bc of family. Although our alma mater has people EVERYWHERE, we run into alumni everywhere when we travel.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast