Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    ... However my husbands family asks what they want, and instead buy cheap junk from the 99 cents store. For what they get, they could have given my kid $5 and my kid could have used that towards something vs the junk that will go straight in the trash.
    This is my dad's ex - somehow, $20 worth of "it-breaks-immediately-so-I-end-up-throwing-it-out" sh!t from The Christmas Tree Shoppe or wherever is preferable to a single $20 toy or set of books on DD's WishList, which I keep updated because it's easier to send a link to family who want to know specific things than it is to remember who got which chunk of what list when ...
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Just a quick suggestion—rather than sending the whole list to any one individual/couple, perhaps just provide one item (with detail/specifics). Then, they might do $/gift card + the single specific item.

I personally hate gift cards for kids, but I guess I am the exception. My DD has 2 we just found while cleaning that are now useless (store went out of business) and she has lost/misplaced several over the years.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I totally hear all of this! Both kids birthdays are in the next couple months (as is mine so I need to make my list as well), then xmas and a little something for chanukah. AND we get each kid a gift for their siblings birthday... argh! Just starting my own lists for them, and the questions from grandparents and aunts will come soon. So great everyone wants to get them something they want, but it's a lot to manage to make sure there aren't doubles. And I hate all the spending and buying, but I can't seem to get out of the loop. I didn't grow up with xmas, and wish I could drop it altogether. But that idea makes DH very mad - not going to happen. And as they get older, their wants are bigger or nothing at all. I hear you!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    And I hate all the spending and buying, but I can't seem to get out of the loop.
    THIS!!!!

DH loves this time of year in theory, but HATES the consumerism and ends up angry and depressed!

We have cut way back for the extended family, but it's still all too much!

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    THIS!!!!

DH loves this time of year in theory, but HATES the consumerism and ends up angry and depressed!

We have cut way back for the extended family, but it's still all too much!

Yes. I loved living in Germany bc there it was way more about being with friends/family and very little about consumerism.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just send them instructions for donating to the kids college fund if they want and tell them to either figure out what they want to buy for the kids or help the. With college. Up to them. Just say sweetly “I have such I hard time to figure out gifts for me to give them!”

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My ex MIL is obsessed with what he wants and wants to have everything picked out early. I would get non stop phone calls about it. She easily doubles what I spend and as a result we have too many clothes and legos.
    DS 6/09

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Deleted... Sorry
    Last edited by hbridge; 11-27-2019 at 07:20 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2