Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would be really careful with this one. At this age, you are setting the routine for the future. Think about what you want the kids doing in the morning when they are 10, 12, 18... That is the routine you should be working towards. It may be rough for a few months, but it will be worth the rough few months to instill the routine.

That being said, we move the wakeup time as needed to make sure everything gets done with a little time to spare. If things are rushed and stressed, I add 10 minutes on the start end...

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    I would be really careful with this one. At this age, you are setting the routine for the future. Think about what you want the kids doing in the morning when they are 10, 12, 18... That is the routine you should be working towards. It may be rough for a few months, but it will be worth the rough few months to instill the routine.

That being said, we move the wakeup time as needed to make sure everything gets done with a little time to spare. If things are rushed and stressed, I add 10 minutes on the start end...
    End of the day though, is it really a big deal if it becomes a habit for a few years?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Yes, my two youngest have done this for years. It works great for us, and I never have to buy/wash/dry/fold PJs. And don't worry, at some point they will (probably) want to stop doing it. For my DD (9th grader) that happened towards the end of last year.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    End of the day though, is it really a big deal if it becomes a habit for a few years?

It depends completely on the child. For one of mine, change is VERY difficult! Once the routine is established, it is set, but to change it can take YEARS!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    It depends completely on the child. For one of mine, change is VERY difficult! Once the routine is established, it is set, but to change it can take YEARS!
    I understand. I just meant that there are worse habits. if it works for a kiddo to get dressed at night, rock on.

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I always see this suggestion for helping mornings go easier, and if it'll work for your family, go for it!

(DD sweats too much overnight to make this feasible, so we have a multiple alarm system - "wake up," "brush teeth/get dressed," and "leave for the bus." It works for us.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I understand. I just meant that there are worse habits. if it works for a kiddo to get dressed at night, rock on.

I was thinking the same thing. If my kids go to college wearing their clothes for the next day...awesome. Maybe they won’t be late to class . I assume at some point my kids will insist on wearing something different to bed but for now, I am thrilled I never have to argue with kids about time in the morning.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. If my kids go to college wearing their clothes for the next day...awesome. Maybe they won’t be late to class . I assume at some point my kids will insist on wearing something different to bed but for now, I am thrilled I never have to argue with kids about time in the morning.

I'd much rather my 7 year old get an extra 20 minutes of sleep in the morning than me having to wake him up early to compensate for the time it takes him to get dressed. He's still learning a routine by brushing his teeth, going to the bathroom, putting shoes on, etc. It's better than me having to argue with him to hurry up in the morning and making the day start off not so fun.

azzeps is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I miss the days when my son would sleep in his clothes!!! It was so great! He could take his time with breakfast and I could focus on getting the older one ready. He very rarely is able to dress himself, unless I help him. I guess he just likes sleeping in undies better.
    DD - 3/2008
    DS - 7/2011

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I remember listening to an interview with Ann Romney and she mentioned doing this with all her boys.

It would never work for us because a) my kids are early risers and have plenty of time and b) my kids insist on sleeping in undies only. They have too many sensory issues.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast