smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Any tips for kids who have trouble with group projects, esp. r.e. learning disability

I had PT conferences for my older 2 today. DS2 has a diagnosis, but he's generally doing really well with it (all A's). He was released from tutoring for now. He is very bright but has a language based LD and some processing speed issues. So, his grades are high and he's focused, well behaved, and doing well. However, one of his teachers pointed out that he had a really hard time with partner/group work. This has always been an issue...he has ideas but by the time he processes in his head what he wants to say, the other kids have moved on and he will not contribute much. In elementary school he had been with the same kids since preschool, it was a small class (16 kids), and they knew him so well that they'd wait and give him a chance to chime in. So, now in a, bigger school, in MS, I need to help him find some ways to do this group work and actually contribute. There is a lot of group work to do, and this obviously also affects the kids who work with him. They have a resource at school I will also reach out to, but the more ideas, the better
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Is his LD limited to one area? For example, my oldest son has slow processing speed and dyslexia. He struggles with speech and writing but he learns and retains material very quickly that he hears. So he and his school emphasize the things he can do well and de-emphasize what he struggles with. In his case, I’d recommend that he find something he can do quickly for the group and try to stick to that. Like if your son can compute quickly, he can contribute that ability of the group. If he comprends a problem or can see a solution quickly, he can offer that to the group. In my Ds’s case, where speech is hard for him, I’d encourage him to look for needed calculations, make them and simply say, “got it.”

maybe you can work with your DC’s teacher and ask ways that he can effectively contribute to the group given his limitations and talents.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

One way to approach it would be to designate some brainstorming time for all to think on ideas, write them down, and then go over ideas together as a group. Perhaps that would allow him to organize his thoughts and participate individually and in the larger group. Also is there one aspect he is very drawn to or talented in, eg sketching, making posters, coming up with visual aids, checking to see if others are staying organized? Maybe he can have a go to job that he would volunteer for when working in a group.

ETA it sounds like he is doing really well! <3
    K