bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default “Supper” meal ideas?

I think I’m going to try eating dinner at 3:00 when the kids get home from school. They’re famished and hardly eat at school at all. DH gets home closer to 7:00. And HE is famished. I think I might be able to get my kids to eat essentially a second dinner at that time. It would be less than an hour before bed. Any ideas what that second meal could comprise?

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have good friends who eat between 3-4 when everyone gets home from school. DH works from home so they dont eat a 2nd supper, but before bed they have cereal, yogurt, popcorn, sandwich, soup etc. A solid snack basically.

Could you eat dinner after school and leave a plate for dh in the fridge? cooking 2 meals so close together would make me crazy.

I also find my kids do better if they have a good breakfast. Eggs, giant bowl of oatmeal etc
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This is what I would recommend, otherwise you are making dinner twice. When we eat early dinner or need a quick snack before bedtime, we usually do fruit and yogurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I have good friends who eat between 3-4 when everyone gets home from school. DH works from home so they dont eat a 2nd supper, but before bed they have cereal, yogurt, popcorn, sandwich, soup etc. A solid snack basically.

Could you eat dinner after school and leave a plate for dh in the fridge? cooking 2 meals so close together would make me crazy.

I also find my kids do better if they have a good breakfast. Eggs, giant bowl of oatmeal etc
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Would the 2nd dinner be for DH and kids who are hungry again after the 3pm dinner? Or just Dh?

That is DS1 pretty much 3-4 evenings after school with his soccer and Taewonko activities. They usually last from 50-80 mins, so he gets home around 7:30 to 8 hungry. I often feed him a sandwich of PB& J with side of sliced apples, cut up cucumbers or celery. Now that fall is here with colder temps, he’s veering into my homemade batches of soup I keep in freezer. Italian wedding soup, chicken tortilla soup, chicken noodle, or wonton soup, and any other tomato or light broth based soups. He’s not fond of the heavy cream soups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

DD eats 2 dinners- one at 3 and one at 7 or 8. She doesn’t eat more than a granola bar for breakfast and she doesn’t eat snug lunch.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Soups, salads/veggie appetizers maybe with dips?, and sandwiches
    K

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just posted this idea in a thread last week. Look for my post at the end of the thread. This has been working well for us. It gets the kids cooking! Hth

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...ol-snack-ideas
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.