bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Lighting during a power outage

We just got our electricity back sometime during the night last night after nearly 36 hours without. (Boy did that seem longer!) We are thinking we might see more outages as fires are going to always be a problem around here.

We have determined a better plan for dealing with our fridge and food. We have determined we will get another phone/device charger but we also need better light solutions.

We used electric candles and lanterns and some flashlights. I’m grateful for these because we could find our way but we didn’t really have enough light to see. It certainly didn’t feel cozy. It felt dark and depressing. Not light enough to play a board game or read aloud to the kids. Any great ideas for really lighting up a room to make it feel cozy and comfortable?

Get everyone a head lamp. You can read and play board games with those. Otherwise you just need more lanterns or a generator
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think you need more long range planning. If stuff like this is going to happen for days on end, I think you need some solar powered options. Over the summer, I got these. They're meant to be outside but dh hadnt put them up yet when we had a power outage. wasnt perfect but I had one in the bathroom, 1 in the kitchen and one on the dining room table - no batteries required. I'd look for some solar lanterns

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SDM1PF4

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VVYNFB1
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This Coleman Quad Lantern used to get a lot of love here...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has worked very well for us.

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

You need stronger/bigger lanterns. We have 3 good sized lanterns that emit bright adjustable light and several medium and large flashlights (the kind you carry by a handle). We keep the lanterns in the same cabinet as our earthquake kit, along with extra batteries for the lanterns and flashlights. We’ve had to pull them out a few times for blackouts. The lanterns have usb ports too, so we can charge our phones if needed.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

We use LED fairy lights in our bathrooms during power outages. Especially in our powder room, I find them quite cozy.