Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My initial response was going to be the "Sorry, that won’t work for us." But Liz really brings up a good point. In this case, I would extend to "Sorry, that won’t work for us. We're celebrating just DH, DS, and I this year." I feel like saying "immediate family" she will take liberties with. No wiggle room for her to push her way in. Practice practice practice. No explanations. No additional info. Just rinse, repeat. Good luck!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, make it clear you are wanting a quite Christmas with just the 3 of you, that's it. No need to apologize or elaborate. IT's time to just take a stand.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    My initial response was going to be the "Sorry, that won’t work for us." But Liz really brings up a good point. In this case, I would extend to "Sorry, that won’t work for us. We're celebrating just DH, DS, and I this year." I feel like saying "immediate family" she will take liberties with. No wiggle room for her to push her way in. Practice practice practice. No explanations. No additional info. Just rinse, repeat. Good luck!
    If use “immediate family” meaning just us 3, she’ll get upset that she’s not family. I’ll practice, practice, practice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Yep, don't say immediate family. Don't even use family. Just say "the three of us". By now your sister is a legend on these boards. (don't worry, so is my dad) Practice, practice, practice. Once you get a nice Christmas, I PROMISE you, you will think--why didn't I do this earlier?????? Good luck!!! Keep coming back. We will cheer you on.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Yep, don't say immediate family. Don't even use family. Just say "the three of us". By now your sister is a legend on these boards. (don't worry, so is my dad) Practice, practice, practice. Once you get a nice Christmas, I PROMISE you, you will think--why didn't I do this earlier?????? Good luck!!! Keep coming back. We will cheer you on.
    I know she is! Shows how much I complain about her!! My mum is legendary too. I used to make excuses for both of them and distance myself where I could, but the curtains been pulled back, and there’s no hiding the crazy.

DH proposed to me before he met my family.... I keep telling him that was a dumb move

The difference is---you are standing up to them and calling out the elephant in the room BEFORE it damages your own family. Kudos to you !!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oh, how familiar this family dynamic is to me! Reminds me when my NPD mom asked what we were doing on our anniversary a few years ago and I told her we were going hiking for a family day. She nastily replied that as far as she knew, she was part of the family but maybe not. Hopefully your sister doesn’t reach out for the holiday and you can enjoy quiet time BEFORE and during the holiday

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by firstbaby View Post
    She nastily replied that as far as she knew, she was part of the family but maybe not.
    This is exactly what my mom would say if I said that we were celebrating as an immediate family. Hence sticking to the, "just the 3 of us" Immediate family seems to be such a trigger phrase for self-centered folks

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    The difference is---you are standing up to them and calling out the elephant in the room BEFORE it damages your own family. Kudos to you !!!
    Not before. DS has been affected by it all. I thought I was protecting him from it and could control the limited contact. My mistake

Leave out the “sorry” and don’t over explain. IME, apologizing makes narcissists smell there’s guilt and weakness. Offering explanations makes them think they deserve an explanation because they have some decision-making input.

Do you want her to come at another time and not Christmas? “Christmas will not work. If you’ll be in town for X, we would be glad to meet up with you depending on schedules.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast