Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default how do you address teacher errors?

Everyone makes mistakes but this year I feel like it is happening often, and DS notices. Example 1- teacher gives test but test material reflects material not covered in class or textbook. DS points out to teacher that it is not in there, and she gets offended but eventually gives points back. Example 2- DS gets paper back and teacher has marked things wrong that are not wrong. If DS wants the points back he will have to point out to teacher that she has made a mistake. How do you advise your kids to handle these situations, especially with a teacher who doesn't like to admit she's wrong?

What grade is this?
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

9th grade

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In younger grades, I have been known to scan in the document and ask the teacher privately in an email if she can explain what the problem is because I can't find the issue.

Since your son is older, I'd consider having HIM do that, while CCing you. It's in writing. It's not in her face with other students listening in. And he can give his reasoning for why he's right.

However, if there are several students who all got marked down, getting them to band together to ask what they did wrong may be the better plan. So it's not just one student being a problem, but a group.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Teach him to use what I call "The Columbo Approach":

"Mrs. X, I am not sure what I did wrong here. Can you show me how this should be done? I want to make sure that I am learning this correctly."

Depending on the subject, he may need a few follow up questions. You can also do it over email as kwla said. It's the same type of thing where he has her show where the error is under the guise of wanting to learn from his mistakes.

I would also tell him that there are going to be times in your life where you are sure you are right and turns out that you are not. This keeps you open to that possibility and sets up a collaborative environment rather than an adversarial one.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    Teach him to use what I call "The Columbo Approach":

"Mrs. X, I am not sure what I did wrong here. Can you show me how this should be done? I want to make sure that I am learning this correctly."

Depending on the subject, he may need a few follow up questions. You can also do it over email as kwla said. It's the same type of thing where he has her show where the error is under the guise of wanting to learn from his mistakes.

I would also tell him that there are going to be times in your life where you are sure you are right and turns out that you are not. This keeps you open to that possibility and sets up a collaborative environment rather than an adversarial one.
    . This is how we handle those type of issues. Sometimes they are district issued tests and the answers are incorrect or 2 acceptable answers. Go to the teacher and ask for clarification.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

*I* do not handle teacher errors. I coach my children to handle any perceived errors themselves. The most I get involved is having the child Cc me on an email to the teacher. Like several above, I coach them to ask in a non threatening, non accusatory way, “I’m not sure what I did wrong here so can you explain it to me so I can do better next time?” Or, “ I do not recall learning this in class. Can you help me find the information so I’m sure I’ve learned it well?”

That said, my teens have many times claimed something was not taught in class and it has turned out later that it had actually been taught but DC just missed it or forgot.

In younger grades where the test is always from a purchased curriculum I have found misprints and mistakes several times but I still help my son (8) find the words to talk to the teacher for himself. I won’t be there to intervene for college or in the workforce so they need to learn to speak for themselves in an appropriate and respectful way, but they also need to learn that sometimes mistakes happen and they DON’T get fixed by the person in power and they need to learn to deal with that disappointment gracefully and not let it affect their overall attitude.