Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Panera Mac & Cheese exposed!

In case you're not familiar, an employee "exposed" Panera on TikTok for using frozen individual servings of mac and cheese that they heat in boiling water. Did anyone actually think Panera was cooking up mac and cheese from scratch in their kitchens? I assumed it was pre-made in some way. Is this really scandalous? The most scandalous thing to me is the amount of plastic they're using.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/...en-mac-cheese/
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No chain restaurant is really doing anything more than that. And plenty of non-chain restaurants buy ready to heat stuff from places like Sysco. Surprising that people don't know that.

Agreed. I don't really like Panera, so I don't go very often. But I remember a few years ago, I wanted one of the paninis, but I didn't want one of the ingredients — probably onions or peppers or something. They told me they came already prepared and they couldn't take anything off. I don't know if they were frozen and they just threw them on the griddle or what.

I think the problem with Panera is they have been on the "Clean and Fresh" campaign the past few years. But yeah, nobody's grandma is in the back making up batches of mac and cheese.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm not surprised it's just heated up. I'm still gonna eat it, I like the adult versions where they toss bacon or avocado or whatever on it and when you travel for work, that pre-made stuff is a consistently safe choice when you need a quick meal!

That TikTok is pretty hilarious though...the guy laughing in the background...
    Last edited by twowhat?; 10-15-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Agreed. I don't really like Panera, so I don't go very often. But I remember a few years ago, I wanted one of the paninis, but I didn't want one of the ingredients — probably onions or peppers or something. They told me they came already prepared and they couldn't take anything off. I don't know if they were frozen and they just threw them on the griddle or what.

I think the problem with Panera is they have been on the "Clean and Fresh" campaign the past few years. But yeah, nobody's grandma is in the back making up batches of mac and cheese.
    Huh. I get things customized all the time. Their app is one of my favorite things. You can swap out/ modify everything so easily. And then swoop in and get your stuff off the shelf to leave. They even have the option to order from your table and have delivered to your table. I know other places offer similar but Panera is our go-to when we need to get food out.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Huh. I get things customized all the time. Their app is one of my favorite things. You can swap out/ modify everything so easily. And then swoop in and get your stuff off the shelf to leave. They even have the option to order from your table and have delivered to your table. I know other places offer similar but Panera is our go-to when we need to get food out.
    The paninis aren't a regular item, I don't think. They seem to rotate in and out, I'd not be shocked if they were pre-made and grilled up quick on the panini press.

It is HIGHLY packaged stuff though. They dole out each ingredient from tons of small packs for each thing they make. The amount of waste has to be astronomical.

Source, my office is above a Panera and though not my fav place, it is (too) convenient. I do customize a lot of things (gimme a bit extra sauce on my Thai Chicken Salad plz!!), but I honestly can't say if I've attempted to customize a panini.

I've had the mac and cheese, pretty tasty for frozen from a plastic bag, I'll give 'em that.

Pulled out my Panera app. You can customize the paninis.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Pulled out my Panera app. You can customize the paninis.
    Hmm, I don't see any Paninis at all on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Hmm, I don't see any Paninis at all on mine.
    They are listed under sandwiches. The Frontega Chicken, for example, is a panini.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's not a secret, definitely not scandalous. DD is an extremely finicky eater. When they first changed to this version of mac and cheese years ago i asked how it was prepared and the lovely people fixing us told me this exact thing. If DD will eat it, I really don't care because I can't even get the kid to eat junk food, so I'm happy with anything she will actually consume.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast