Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Snap circuits for 15 year old on autism spectrum

My friend’s 15 yo son is on the spectrum but high functioning. He has an obsession with drawing electrical circuits and color coding them, etc. Seems he’s good at math, too, so I was thinking of buying him a snap circuits set, or any other ideas? They are in Europe but not in a very advanced place (for European standards) and she’s never heard of these. Does anyone know if that would be appropriate or know where I can ask? I’m also wondering which level (Jr or regular). I know it’s hard to answer without knowing the kid, but since they don’t have access to a lot of stuff we get in the US, I’m trying to help her out.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

The junior is pretty basic. My 8yo is already bored with it. If this boy is that into electronics then the higher advanced sets might be better.

I agree, I'd go with a more advanced set. Snap Circuits Arcade looks cool.

If he's REALLY into it, you could get him something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/LAFVIN-Projec...157438&sr=8-10
    They use kits like these in our middle school. It comes with tutorials and project ideas. You do need access to a laptop to write some basic code, which gets loaded onto the Arduino.

I guess I should clarify. He’s relatively high functioning and attends a school for kids with special needs.. He seems to be ok with following instructions but he’ll need help, at least initially.

I’d still say higher level set. The jr is really a 3rd grade level, if that.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Snap circuits are very easy to use and basic. They are probably good for a start, but if he is really into circuitry, he may grow out of them quickly. Every spectrum kid is SO different and "high functioning" is a term that doesn't mean much in this context. I would start with an intermediate or advance snap circuit set and then determine if he needs more.

There is also a lot you can do with batteries, lemons, potatoes, ect. Makey Makey is a fun circuit toy, as well.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 15-year-old h-f autistic son still enjoys his Snap Circuits. He has a couple of basic sets; I'm not sure which. He just likes to have fun with them. If this family has never heard of them, I think the young man would enjoy them. I would skip the junior, though, and go for the regular.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Quote Originally Posted by calebsmama03 View Post
    I’d still say higher level set. The jr is really a 3rd grade level, if that.
    My kids had the regular snap circuits in 3rd. I didn't even know there was a junior version.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Ok great. This is helpful!! My kids were into the regular sets in elementary, too, but his mom was concerned that he might have trouble with it. I suspect he’ll enjoy it after an initial learning period!