twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Cordless vacuums

I really want one. My family would get me one for Christmas...Dyson or other? The thing that really trips me up about the Dyson is that you have to hold that trigger as you vacuum and that just seems dumb though on the other hand I'm sure I could rig up a work-around with a thick rubber band. There's an LG that looks comparable but is expensive but it comes with 2 battery packs which would be great for swapping out for longer jobs.

Do you have a Dyson or other cordless vac and what do you like/dislike about it? I'm looking for something that will mainly do a quick but good job with dried up dirt, dog hair, stuff tracked in from kids going in/out of the backyard (bits of leaves, etc), crumbs on wood stairs, wood floors, tile, and thinner rugs (I break out the big guns for our thick shag rug and for the bedroom carpets). We get lots of kids traffic, as our girls have friends over almost every day after school and in the summer they are constantly in and out to/from the backyard pool, and most of them are terribly messy snack eaters too, haha.

I really like the Shark Cordless stick vac. The version I have has 2 batteries so easy to switch out but usually don't use it long enough for this to be a problem

There is a new one marketed for "pets" but the feature I wish I had is the self cleaning brush roll especially with 2 long hair kids!. No need to hold a power button. Press and go!

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The Dyson is the best. Black
    Friday will have great deals. I have tried others and nothing compares.

I have a black shedding dog and three very messy kids full of cleat mid and we use the Dyson every day, on both area rugs and wood floors.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I have a Dyson, I like it- holding the trigger doesn't really bother me- the charge only lasts 30 mins so it's only good for quick jobs anyway. Sounds like it would suit your needs.

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had the most powerful Dyson one and it stopped working in under three years. (I do have two fluffy dogs, cats, and boys, though.) After about just 18 months I had to repeatedly stop vacuuming to remove clogs. It was super annoying. I'm planning on buying either a Shark or a cheap amazon one next. IME the price of the Dyson isn't worth it.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The Eureka Quick up from about 15 years ago was phenomal. I have been looking for a good replacement although those did give me at leaast 8 years of faithful service. The newer ones don't have great reviews like that one did.

I would try the Shark first. Like pp, I have been deeply unimpressed with Dyson and much happier with my experience with Sharks (but haven't tried cordless in either version).

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Would these work well on vinyl flooring (LVT/LVP)?

I have and love my Dyson corded vac, but it is a heavy beast to haul out. I had a manual carpet sweeper, but it doesn't do **** on the vinyl floor. I'm hoping a cordless vac might be better?

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I bought a Dyson at Costco but ended up returning it. I hated holding the trigger and the battery barely lasted long enough to do my kitchen and entryway. I have a shark I use now. It was super cheap and works perfectly well.

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I bought a Dyson at Costco but ended up returning it. I hated holding the trigger and the battery barely lasted long enough to do my kitchen and entryway. I have a shark I use now. It was super cheap and works perfectly well.
    Which Shark do you have?