Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cell Phone Plan

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I found this site helpful to compare carriers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.whi...s/Coverage/amp

I needed to check that they had coverage in a couple of places. There are still dead spots in the middle on nowhere, but OK for us. It’s so individual to where you live and travel.
    Well, that link was interesting. I was sure that Cricket used the Verizon network but that says it's AT&T. In either case, I get decent coverage in central NC, in NE, and in the airports en route, so that’s what matters.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Cell Phone Plan

Quote Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
    Verizon works great where we live, and also in West Texas. The only big issue (besides billing) is the big hole in the middle of Texas for a two hour stretch.

We increase our plan during summer vacation because we know we will be traveling and using more data. I did it mid-cycle through the app so that I wouldn't have to talk to anyone. Two weeks later I got a notification with 12 hours left in the billing cycle that I was out of data, so I did the Verizon UP to get a gig of data to last the day. It never showed up. When I called, they said I used it, which is impossible because I never got it. It takes 1 week to use a GB, and they said I used it in 30 minutes (we were home on wifi this whole time). They gave us a free GB, but then billed us for it. Then they told me that I could only increase my data plan, not decrease (even though the app let me), and that I would have to prove that I really only used 4GB per month before they would approve the decrease from 8GB back down to 4GB. This is after they could clearly look over the last 10-15 years of bills and see that we rarely go over 4GB. I had to pay for 8GB and then call back 1 month later to ask for a refund for the difference.
    Watch for deals for unlimited data. I initially had 8 gigs and two phones and one day I got an email or a text with what I thought was going to be “too good to refuse; it can’t be real” and that unlimited data was within $5 a month of the 8 gigs and I jumped on it. I was also suppose to lose my 15% off the main line discount I get from my employer, but I am pretty sure I still have it because there is no way that I could have what I have for under $200 (3 lines of unlimited, a $25 phone payment, and fees/taxes).

I did have to have them remove some data charges from when I was on my trip in Europe over the summer and initially one rep removed the charges, but when they showed up on the next bill I called back and they said they couldn’t remove all $20 in charges because I received a text when my phone wasn’t on airplane mode, and while trying to login to WiFi at a museum the data plan kicked in (although after that I kept it on airplane mode for the rest of the trip unless we had WiFi at our hotel) but he reduced the fee down to $5. I took it because I was tired of explaining the situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I switched to T-Mobile recently. I get 5 lines of unlimited data/call/text. It includes unlimited data and text in many other countries. (Used it in Aruba) AND it pays for my Netflix for $180 you can get a $10 a month kickback a line if you use less data, so my MIL phone always gets a discount and often my DH since he uses WiFi a lot.

I found this site helpful to compare carriers

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.whi...s/Coverage/amp

I needed to check that they had coverage in a couple of places. There are still dead spots in the middle on nowhere, but OK for us. It’s so individual to where you live and travel.
    Wow, thank you! I think I have it narrowed down to Verizon prepaid, twigby, and total wireless.

Default Cell Phone Plan

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Watch for deals for unlimited data. I initially had 8 gigs and two phones and one day I got an email or a text with what I thought was going to be “too good to refuse; it can’t be real” and that unlimited data was within $5 a month of the 8 gigs and I jumped on it. I was also suppose to lose my 15% off the main line discount I get from my employer, but I am pretty sure I still have it because there is no way that I could have what I have for under $200 (3 lines of unlimited, a $25 phone payment, and fees/taxes).

Nope. You probably aren’t getting the discount. Same situation with us. Ours is $180 for 4 unlimited lines plus taxes abs fees. (Previously we shared 8GB and had the work discount and paid about $160 but that wasn’t enough data. And I’m 100% sure the discount went away when we switched to unlimited ).
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Our corporate discount for Verizon doesn’t include the unlimited plans.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes you were both correct, no corporate discount...I have a discount on the phone we are paying for from a trade in promo so that is why my bill didn’t go up as much as I thought it would. I forgot about that. I don’t look at my bill much these days.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Well, that link was interesting. I was sure that Cricket used the Verizon network but that says it's AT&T. In either case, I get decent coverage in central NC, in NE, and in the airports en route, so that’s what matters.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    That may have been true, but ATT bought them in 2014.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2