Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    My sons are in 3rd and 5th. I believe that 6th grade they go back to the percentage system.

So how do you know how your children are performing on a day to day basis. It seems I'm only getting feedback every 9 weeks at report card time. Is that what you see in your district as well?
    We don't have a parent portal. Every Friday we get a stack of papers sent home - tests, homework sheets, classwork, etc. I can see how my kids are doing from that. Halfway through each quarter we get a progress report with numerical grades. Then we have report cards 4 times per year with standards based grading and numerical grades together.

lmwbasye is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are experiencing this frustration with my 6th grader. It is not about the grades...it is more that I have no idea what is going on and/or how he is doing. They aren't even sending work home. Again...I'm not a huge fan of constant worksheets but I also feel like I just don't know what is going on at his school. It's driving me bananas.
    Laura Proud Army wife and SAHM to Liam (10/04) and George (10/07)

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lmwbasye View Post
    We are experiencing this frustration with my 6th grader. It is not about the grades...it is more that I have no idea what is going on and/or how he is doing. They aren't even sending work home. Again...I'm not a huge fan of constant worksheets but I also feel like I just don't know what is going on at his school. It's driving me bananas.
    This is our experience. Work doesn't come home. It stays in their workbooks for them to review when working on reviews or other independent work. Tests come home, but only once an entire standard has been taught, which can be weeks. It seems that many of you get the information from papers coming home, and while I think it's informative, I guess I feel having scores entered all in one place, with regularity, help me determine how my child is doing as a whole.
    Last edited by okinawama; 10-19-2019 at 10:51 AM.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Both my girls (6th and 10th) go to project based schools that use standards based grading. Definitely a learning curve to how it all works and different schools handle it differently. Our high school converts the standards based grade to a traditional GPA. Part of the problem for parents is that there aren’t many parent/grading portals that handle standards based grading. They managed to make Skyward work last year but they switched to a new one this year that is supposed to be easier to use. I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. It is a big change and there is a lot to wrap your head around. But after four years, I like it. I’m out but I can explain more when I’m home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2