Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Our dryer died and we need new laundry stuff anyway- help!

I got some good advice in my recent renovation thread- thank you! But, I am looking to get the current scoop on washers and dryers because our poor dryer isn't making any heat and it isn't worth fixing (it was already super slow and we planned to get new later in this renovation process). But, we need laundry ASAP and I hadn't started really researching.

Dh and I aren't on the same page regarding top load vs front load washers. He wants a front load so they can install a counter over tad. He's a tad delusional about how it'd be used because if you give me a flat surface, it'll quickly be filled with crap. It won't be a pristine surface available for folding... But, I don't care that much about top vs front load though I lean towards top load. It looks like top loads are coming back "in" and I wondered why. The space will be big enough that we can leave the door open for mildew issues though.

My dream is to have units that finish at the same time approximately. Right now my washer takes 25 minutes and dryer takes 80 minutes. I would love to do back to back laundry.

I'd prefer to keep the purchase under $3000 for the pair but we have budget wiggle room. I see plenty in that range though so you'd have to sell me hard to spend more.

We are replacing ancient, simple appliances (Kenmore) that have been workhorses for 20+ years. I hate the idea of buying practically disposable appliances, as they so often seem to be nowadays. If you bought something that's been more trouble than it's worth, please let me know so I can avoid. I was all set on a fridge until I read some comments here about the exact one I'd been planning. I changed course and bought one that's been really good. What not to buy is just as helpful as what to buy so I appreciate any advice! Thanks!!

eta- I am short so nothing stacked.
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 10-18-2019 at 11:09 AM.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Speedqueen Speedqueen,

Apparently if you buy before 12/31, it's a 10 year warranty!

That's what I remembered from past threads- Speedqueen. Does it matter top load vs front load or are they all good?

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That's what I remembered from past threads- Speedqueen. Does it matter top load vs front load or are they all good?
    Love my Speedqueen!! Got it 2-3 years ago after bad experiences with my 2 previous washers. I don't have their dryer because only my washer needed replacing when I got it, but if it's anywhere near as good I'd love to have it. Mine is a top loader because I really didn't want a front loader.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What model did you get?

Dh’s co-worker warned him off Speed Queen. I remember that they changed designs a while back. Are the new ones really that much worse?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Dh’s co-worker warned him off Speed Queen. I remember that they changed designs a while back. Are the new ones really that much worse?

The issue primarily centered around the move to He - so new units use a lot less water than the older more loved counterparts.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The front loader Speed Queens are super expensive, like $2k for a washer.

Our SQ washer is 6 years old and we haven’t had an issue with it. We had an appliance repair guy out to fix something else in our house and he noticed the SQ and said that the old models are on the verge of being collectors items because a lot of people are unhappy with the newer HE models.

I read this interesting article about the new SQ washers on Wirecutter a few months ago.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewire...en-washer/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We bought Electrolux 5 years ago, and have been very happy. U can't remember what we paid, but it was under $3k for the pair. Front load, we leave it open and wipe down occasionally. Put a counter top from IKEA on top, it doesn't accumulate too much because I dear it getting pushed behind and having to dig behind the machines

Cycles are very similar, wash is usually a bit shorter, but that is because I typically do a 20 minute cycle for the kids clothes (that aren't super dirty).
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    The front loader Speed Queens are super expensive, like $2k for a washer.

Our SQ washer is 6 years old and we haven’t had an issue with it. We had an appliance repair guy out to fix something else in our house and he noticed the SQ and said that the old models are on the verge of being collectors items because a lot of people are unhappy with the newer HE models.

I read this interesting article about the new SQ washers on Wirecutter a few months ago.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewire...en-washer/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, dh sent me that article. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast