Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yeah, dh sent me that article. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Just want to add that they aren’t fancy but my parents, Grandma, and sister all have GE top loafers from Home Depot that they are happy with. My grandma was Maytag loyal prior to her current unit though, but that was old school Maytag of course. They also don’t regularly do laundry for a family of 4 though. Like I said in your other post if I have to buy another front loader I would go with the base model Electrolux washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have the Wirecutter "best washing machine" (and matching dryer). We paid $799 for each of them, so well under your budget.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/th...her-and-dryer/

I went into the local appliance shop looking to get a Speed Queen top loader or front loader but ruled both out IMMEDIATELY upon seeing them, LOL. They are smaller capacity machines. Fine if you don't do your own King comforters and dog beds and giant Squishmallows and furniture slipcovers. But I prefer to wash all of our own stuff, including bulky items, and there was no way the Speed Queen would make that work based on size.

I've been very happy with the LG set. The Turbowash feature lets me finish a load of normal laundry in 38 minutes, and I definitely feel like the clothes come out just as clean. (Dirty muddy sneakers come out IMPRESSIVELY clean!) Clothes go straight into the dryer and I dry on the delicates/low heat setting (the dryer seems to run hot) which is 28 minutes long, which is plenty for a load of regular laundry (kids clothes, adult clothes, usually a mix of cotton and synthetics). I can power through a lot of laundry quickly, especially if I fold stuff fresh out of the dryer in the 10 min it takes for the washer to finish the next load. The only things that take longer to dry on the delicates cycle is our King comforter, towels and bathmats, and if I want to speed it up, I just bump it up to medium heat and everything is dry in 40-45 min. I do like to use the sanitary cycle for our white towels and sheets and dog bedding though, and I also like to add 2 extra rinses so those things take nearly 2 hours in the washer, but it's not a big deal - I just time it so that those are the last things to be washed for the day so it's not holding up anything else. There's also a speed wash setting which we rarely use but it's something like 20 min and fine for quick loads that aren't too dirty.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 10-19-2019 at 11:11 PM.

I have noticed that Wirecutter is very pro LG and Samsung brands. There is usually one of either one of those brands in every appliance review so much so imho it sounds kind of fishy. Even the author of the Speed Queen article said he would’ve never reviewed a Speed Queen. It makes me wonder just how independent the reviews really are.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We have an LG front loader and it's awful. We put socks in and they come out not only as dirty as when they went in but also in the exact same shape. It's almost like they didn't move at all in the washer.

I want to move to a top loader and was assuming a Speed Queen but it now sounds like that may not work out.

What is everyone's favorite top loader?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We were thinking LG too but enough bad reviews around online and IRL that now we have a Samsung picked out as well as a Maytag. The Maytag has awesome reviews. We are going with a top loader.

Quote Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
    We have an LG front loader and it's awful. We put socks in and they come out not only as dirty as when they went in but also in the exact same shape. It's almost like they didn't move at all in the washer.

I want to move to a top loader and was assuming a Speed Queen but it now sounds like that may not work out.

What is everyone's favorite top loader?
    I will be following the Maytag Commercial Washer highlighter in the article I posted above. If that isn’t an option then I might look at the GE brands (based on my family’s experience) or whatever brand still has an agitator at the time when we have to replace. My hope is that Speed Queen will rethink this whole HE business with their current machines and go back to the old ones. Our washer is 6/1/2 years old so we should still have another 10 years of life left on our current machine.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2