Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default How to forgive and move on...

So I have one sibling who has been "in and out" of the family for 35 years. She finds a significant other and leaves us all behind (no contact at all) until the relationship ends and she needs something. In the 35 years since she graduated from college, I have been to her residence twice. Yet, when she decides to be part of the family, I host every holiday (and then she calls our mother and thanks her profusely for the holiday celebration at MY HOUSE). It's just the two of us and our parents are getting older. About two years ago she left the family again for a "new" guy. I guess they had a falling out with my parents, but I have NO IDEA what I did to no longer be part of her life. AND I CANNOT SEEM TO GET OVER IT! Life is so much easier without her drama, she was never really a sister to me anyway, but I cannot help but feel abandoned by her.

I have discussed this in therapy, wrote her letters that won't be sent, ranted to the dog to get my anger out; but I am still not over the pain of all of this. I do anticipate more drama from her in the future, but right now I just want to scream at her. It has been two years... HOW DO I MOVE BEYOND this so that I can find some peace?

Any suggestions?

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I have no idea! I think it just takes time. Maybe 2 years isn’t enough time yet.

I’m not upset I’m not in contact with my mother, maybe because I’ve been working towards this for 16 years. What is upsetting is my younger sister’s behaviors, that’s more recent and I haven’t processed it all yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Maybe a different therapy approach than your therapist is using would be helpful?

I can understand that hurt, anger, and abandonment you feel. Sounds like she's not the sister you wish she could be.

Your sister sounds like she is struggling with her own issues (attachment? self-esteem? trauma?); all this behavior ("drama") likely has more to do with her than anything you did/didn't do.

I hope you find some peace soon.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry. It sounds like you've tried all of the things I would have suggested.

Has your therapist recommended that you "let the emotions in?" I used to hate it when my therapist said it and can't quite really explain what it means, but it was still helpful. Basically, it's all about acknowledging that you feel hurt/angry/sad/frustrated/confused/helpless and just sitting with those feelings. Not trying to get over it, not trying to fix it, just acknowledging that you feel that way. It all sounds very woo-woo. :-)

It's entirely possible that there is NOTHING you have done that has caused your sister to cut you off. Not that that makes it hurt less, but at least you can think of it as a "her" problem, not a "you" problem.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would dissociate what she does from what you do and go on from there
    What I mean is, think of her as having a disability, which she clearly has. Like a PP mentioned, self esteem issues, attachment issues, a love junkie, who knows. Asking her to do what you want her to do is like asking someone who has lost their legs to run.....they're just not capable of doing that. You cannot be angry at them for not doing what you want them to do, they just can't. Emotional sickness is similar, we just can't see it, and your sister as you describe her is emotionally very very sick
    Now comes the question of, if she is unable to thank you, do you still need to be thanked? You are hosting something to be nice, to keep the family together, to keep some contact with your only sibling, just like you would want your kids to stay in touch with each other. So is it just that she's not doing what is the right thing to do (which she can't, remember she's disabled) or is it that you need acknowledgement regardless? Because if it's the latter, and if your parents are not acknowledging what a fantastic daughter you are, then treat yourself to something really special (dinner, a massage) after you are host the family meal and tell yourself that is your reward and thank you to you for being kind, for being selfless, for being a great example to your kids and for doing something that holds the family together.
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    I would dissociate what she does from what you do and go on from there
    What I mean is, think of her as having a disability, which she clearly has. Like a PP mentioned, self esteem issues, attachment issues, a love junkie, who knows. Asking her to do what you want her to do is like asking someone who has lost their legs to run.....they're just not capable of doing that. You cannot be angry at them for not doing what you want them to do, they just can't. Emotional sickness is similar, we just can't see it, and your sister as you describe her is emotionally very very sick
    Now comes the question of, if she is unable to thank you, do you still need to be thanked? You are hosting something to be nice, to keep the family together, to keep some contact with your only sibling, just like you would want your kids to stay in touch with each other. So is it just that she's not doing what is the right thing to do (which she can't, remember she's disabled) or is it that you need acknowledgement regardless? Because if it's the latter, and if your parents are not acknowledging what a fantastic daughter you are, then treat yourself to something really special (dinner, a massage) after you are host the family meal and tell yourself that is your reward and thank you to you for being kind, for being selfless, for being a great example to your kids and for doing something that holds the family together.
    You are correct in all of that, however, I don't even want to be thanked for anything. Hosting the holiday is not a problem, I just wanted to have a relationship with her after she "returned" to the family 10 years ago. I have no idea how she thinks of me or what I did to not even register on her radar. I honestly believe that I don't matter at all to her, except when she needs me. In the past she has leaned on me hard and then declared that she has NO ONE, while I was standing right in front of her trying to help. I do not matter to her and I am sure she has moved on. But I feel abandoned by the one person who should always be there. We promised our grandmother when we were little that we would always be there for each other. Now she is choosing to end the relationship. I just don't understand...

There is definitely a disability of some form at play.

My problem isn't her, it's me. I cannot help but be hurt and angry. However, that is not doing anyone any good. I need to let go of that pain and anger. I just can't manage to do so.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I don’t think you did anything. I think you don’t register with her, not because of you or anything you did, but because of her own issues. You want a relationship with her, it doesn’t sound like she can have a relationship with anyone. You don’t understand her behavior because you don’t have the mental/emotional issues she has.

This isn’t you. It’s her.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    You are correct in all of that, however, I don't even want to be thanked for anything. Hosting the holiday is not a problem, I just wanted to have a relationship with her after she "returned" to the family 10 years ago. I have no idea how she thinks of me or what I did to not even register on her radar. I honestly believe that I don't matter at all to her, except when she needs me. In the past she has leaned on me hard and then declared that she has NO ONE, while I was standing right in front of her trying to help. I do not matter to her and I am sure she has moved on. But I feel abandoned by the one person who should always be there. We promised our grandmother when we were little that we would always be there for each other. Now she is choosing to end the relationship. I just don't understand...

There is definitely a disability of some form at play.

My problem isn't her, it's me. I cannot help but be hurt and angry. However, that is not doing anyone any good. I need to let go of that pain and anger. I just can't manage to do so.
    Ah, understand what’s bothering you now! But I think she may just be taking you for granted because she knows you will always be there for her. You’ve definitely kept your end of the promise to grandma
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Maybe think of this more as mourning your loss then trying to force forgiveness?

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle View Post
    Maybe think of this more as mourning your loss then trying to force forgiveness?
    I wish I knew how to do that. I have been "mourning" the loss of my sister for 30 years, when she first decided to leave the family. Every 10 years or so she reappears in dire straights demanding that we help her and swearing that she has changed. Until the next guy comes along. The difference now is that we have elderly parents who cannot go through another cycle of appearing and disappearing. I probably spend 3 hours a day obsessing on this and it has to stop. I just don't know how to let it go. With a special needs child, work, and a household to run; this is crazy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast