Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Weighted blanket for me to increase sleep quality?

I recently read an article about how this writer always had trouble falling asleep, would wake up frequently during the night, toss and turn a lot, etc. She said it is because her mind is always on, always thinking, and she has a hard time calming herself to get a deep sleep. I feel like I struggle with that too. The always on thinking is not as bad as it was when I was in college and first working, but I do find it takes awhile to fall asleep and I toss and turn quite a bit. I also always seem to wake up around 4:30-5 am, then it seems to take awhile to fall back asleep, and I feel anxiety that I'm not getting enough sleep, and then just as I start to drift off again my alarm goes off at 6:05. And of course then I still feel tired and like I didn't get enough sleep. Not sure how accurate it is, but my Fitbit also tells me that I toss and turn quite a bit and do not get much deep sleep during the night. Lately I just feel exhausted most of the time and also frequent headaches (I think these are allergy/sinus related though I am taking Flonase and Zyrtec).

Anyways, I'm intrigued with the weighted blanket. I do like the weight of blankets on me, even in the summer. I have an extra 10% off coupon for Target currently and they have a few in stock at my store, does anyone have one from there and how is the quality? Which one do you have? Need something machine washable, as my cats love to sleep on my bed by me. Also, if you become used to sleeping with the weighted blanket is it hard to sleep without it if you are away from home? I typically sleep even worse when not at home, so don't want that to get worse!

I'm so sorry you're going through this! I totally feel for you- not sleeping well is the worst, especially when you wake up at that time in the morning and then just barely fall back asleep, only to be woken by your alarm! I hope you can get some relief soon!

I don't have any experience with weighted blankets, but I'm a very light sleeper, and these are some things that I do to get a good night's sleep; maybe it would help you?

- close the blinds/ room-darkening shades
    - fan going for background noise
    - door shut (I actually put our cats in our mud/ laundry room at night, since they would wake me up over night when they bathe/ hop on or off the bed/ etc.
    - long sleeved pajama top and bottoms, with the shirt tucked into my waistband, and the bottoms tucked into my socks so the pants don't ride up on my legs and make me cold overnight
    - lots of blankets so I stay warm overnight (do you see a theme? )
    - water bottle, phone, and watch on my nightstand
    - no scented lotions that could keep me from falling asleep, or keep me awake if I wake up overnight
    - I don't look at my phone or watch to see the time if I wake up overnight/ early in morning, as it makes me anxious that I won't get enough sleep, and can make it harder for me to fall back asleep

If you do end up getting a weighted blanket, let us know if it works, but either way, good luck, and please report back with how it's going!

This is a very timely thread as DH has finally gotten his sleep back in shape after over 5 years of struggling. He is a changed man and everyone is so much happier. It is possible for you, too. (BTW, I have also struggled with sleep and have tried a weighted blanket, but I found it too hot. Right now mine is growing dust in a closet.)

What actually worked was reading a book about sleep I heard about on Science Friday and then following the author's recommendations. The biggest thing he did was to put himself on the recommended temporary sleep restriction in the book. It was a struggle for 3 days, but it was totally worth it. He now knows the amount of sleep his body needs and has a healthy, positive relationship with sleep. I think he has done other things, but I just started reading the book, so can't elaborate more. I can say that find the author/doctor funny and that he does a great job instilling a feeling of ease in his reader.

I asked DH and he said he was only up one quick time last night vs hours. His sleep anxiety is gone and in its place is a happy, rested man. Good luck with your own transformation! If he can do it, you can too.

Segment on Science Friday:

https://www.sciencefriday.com/segmen...u-up-at-night/

Book:

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Solutio.../dp/0399583602

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have a lot of anxiety and other health issues (auto immune) and I have weird cyclical tingling in different areas that drive me absolutely nuts. I have been wanting a weighted blanket for a couple years now and we bought one at Costco on Saturday. It was supposed to be my Christmas present but when we got home DH told me to go ahead and use it. I like it so far. Both yesterday and this morning I woke up early early (4:30 or so) and used the bathroom and WENT BACK TO SLEEP. I can't 100% credit the blanket but I do often have trouble falling back asleep. To be fair, I slept like a log (like unusually well) Friday night too so I may just be in a good sleep cycle week for whatever reason. I definitely like how it feels. I am not certain about using it in summer, I hope it won't be too hot but it's definitely not too hot for me now in our mild Fall (haven't turned the heat on yet). We like to sleep with it cool. I will report back after I've used it longer.

ETA: I have the same concern as you about travel. If this is a sleep aid, am I going to be addicted (like my sound machine)? I don't want to have to travel with this huge heavy blanket!

So last night I doubled up a handmade quilt to put on top of me, to see if I slept better with the extra weight. I actually got too warm after a few hours (I had on flannel pants and t-shirt). But, I also noticed that DH was snoring and making loud mouth noises quite a bit, which made it very hard for me to sleep. Normally if he snores, I kick him and he turns over and it stops, but that didn't help last night. So I ended up moving to the couch to sleep around 3 am. And it was so quiet, only the hum of the refrigerator! I think I slept better after moving than I did before. So, after talking with DH this morning, we are going to try to minimize his snoring. He will talk to his doctor about if he should have testing done for sleep apnea (his father has it). He also mentioned maybe getting a sound machine to cover up his (and the cats) noisiness. In the summer I like to sleep with the ceiling fan on, but once it turns cold, I don't like the breeze from the fan. And, unfortunately, I know if I try to lock the cats out of our room, or even close our bathroom door where one of the litter boxes is, they will scratch until they can get in.

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    So last night I doubled up a handmade quilt to put on top of me, to see if I slept better with the extra weight. I actually got too warm after a few hours (I had on flannel pants and t-shirt). But, I also noticed that DH was snoring and making loud mouth noises quite a bit, which made it very hard for me to sleep. Normally if he snores, I kick him and he turns over and it stops, but that didn't help last night. So I ended up moving to the couch to sleep around 3 am. And it was so quiet, only the hum of the refrigerator! I think I slept better after moving than I did before. So, after talking with DH this morning, we are going to try to minimize his snoring. He will talk to his doctor about if he should have testing done for sleep apnea (his father has it). He also mentioned maybe getting a sound machine to cover up his (and the cats) noisiness. In the summer I like to sleep with the ceiling fan on, but once it turns cold, I don't like the breeze from the fan. And, unfortunately, I know if I try to lock the cats out of our room, or even close our bathroom door where one of the litter boxes is, they will scratch until they can get in.
    Oh my word, you have to get a sound machine! Our whole family can't sleep without! You want marpac or possibly electrofan (or is it lectrofan?). Both are great, marpac isn't as loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Oh my word, you have to get a sound machine! Our whole family can't sleep without! You want marpac or possibly electrofan (or is it lectrofan?). Both are great, marpac isn't as loud.
    So I looked around online about sound machines for sleeping. We have a brand new Google Home Mini that we never hooked up (DH is anti home smart devices and how they might “listen” in on us). Can I use this? Can I set it up without linking it to banking info and other personal info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a hometics sound machine that we’ve used for years (we have three I think). When I travel, I use an app on my phone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    So I looked around online about sound machines for sleeping. We have a brand new Google Home Mini that we never hooked up (DH is anti home smart devices and how they might “listen” in on us). Can I use this? Can I set it up without linking it to banking info and other personal info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am not sure! We feel the same way about smart devices and also don't have any of the speakers and stuff like that.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Weighted blanket for me to increase sleep quality?

I have many allergies so I have always had a room air purifier in my bedroom. I have deliberately avoided those models that were advertised as "extra quiet," so it acts as white noise as well as reducing the dust. When I travel, the hotel room usually seems much too quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast