Question Cheap, reliable AWD vehicle with good gas mileage?

DH is looking for one, and I thought I'd ask you wise folks for suggestions!

He currently has a truck, which he likes, but it doesn't get good gas mileage, and he wants something smaller that fits in our garage better. He's looking at Subarus (possibly an Impreza?). Wants something cheap, that he owns (the lease on his truck is ending, and his work driving has taken him over his mileage allowance), that does well in the snow. I think he'd rather have a sedan or wagon instead of a truck or SUV. We do have 3 kids that I'd love to be able to fit in back, but I guess it's not a deal-breaker, since I have a minivan.
    He's also intrigued by the idea of a Hybrid, but I don't know what's out there with AWD and a low price tag.

Thanks for any tips on what to look at, where to look, what to ask about, etc., etc. We're trying to be more financially responsible after spending a bunch of money on $ cars in the past.

Thanks again!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Used Toyota RAV4 Hybrid

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I would look for a low-mileage used Outback. I really wanted an Outback, but needed a third row. People seem to love the Honda CRVs
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Toyota Highlander Hybrid that we got a good deal on used, as it was older and higher in miles. I think the original owner traded it in because of being close to the warranty on the hybrid battery, but I called Toyota to check pricing if I needed to replace the battery and it was still a good deal. We tend to buy older cars and buy from smaller mom/pop type local dealers. Every time we have bought a preowned vehicle from a large dealership we've gotten burned. Anyways, we didn't mind buying this with higher mileage, as I figured Toyotas and Hondas hold their value and run a long time. DH had a Honda Civic that he sold with around 200,000 miles on it and it still ran fine. My Highlander currently has 140,000 and no major problems (and still using the original hybrid battery). If I didn't need a third row for carpooling kids I would get a Honda CRV. DH had an older model one that we really liked and I have good friends that have been through several CRV's and keep upgrading to newer models.

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We love our Legacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My husband loved his Ford Escape V-6 ,2005, the last year before they changed it. (It was available badge of Mercury Mariner in a Hybrid, but that's not what we had.) It was an absolutely bullet-proof reliable car. We loved it. Put over 200,00 miles and never fixed anything but spark plugs and changed oil. We finally replaced it when DH wanted his very first brand-new car, a Jeep - which does NOT have good gas mileage!

Used Subaru Impreza. Less expensive, good gas mileage, 4 WD--gets us up our steep hill in icy/snowy conditions all winter. You could get 3 booster seats in the back, not sure about car seats. We love our Subarus. I have an Outback but they aren't cheap, unless you get a much older model. If that doesn't work, then I would get a used Toyota RAV 4.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'll put a plug in for the Ford Edge, I have a 2008, have currently 239K on it, barely had to do anything to it and it handles great in the snow and ice. Lots of space, much bigger than an escape and it feels substantial but gas mileage is not bad. I prefer it to my friends Honda CRV or the RAV 4.