Question What to take to visit an elderly relative in a memory care center?

DD and I are going to visit my great uncle, who just moved into a memory care center. I'm taking him some banana bread, and possibly some pictures that the kids color, but what else would be a good thing to bring? I'd also like to print some pictures to put in a photo album if that would be appreciated. Flowers, a bowl of fruit, other ideas? My parents got him a new t.v. and radio/ CD player of some sort this weekend. Are there any things that your own relatives have liked?

Thanks so much!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

nice comfy slippers? Perhaps a throw blanket or similar. Large print word finds are often a hit, but crosswords are sometimes too hard and frustrating. Our relative loved National Geographic - he would look through the photographs long after he couldn't understand the text.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Make sure the remote for the tis easy, our facility replaced all the remotes with easy ones with big buttons. I know someone else bought the TV, but see if he can operate the TV.

Print out pictures, and on the back put who they are and where they live.

A cozy throw is nice, make sure 5i put his name on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know the assisted living facility DH's grandfather lives in has a list of most requested things for Christmas. As boring as it sounds, socks or slippers with good grips on the bottom and lotion/chapstick since the air can be dry always top the list.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No live flowers at my Dad’s place... some residents try to eat them. Fruit is good... just nothing with an inedible peel. If you do slippers or socks make sure to label them.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Photos with names on the front and the relationship. Thumbtacks to pin them up, if there is a bulletin board... or painters tape. Photo album is also great! Hopefullly you can hang some photos on the wall too, maybe even a framed one.

Slippers.

My gramma loved to look through travel magazines.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Make sure to put the kids' names on the pictures the color. The staff will use them to talk to him, and it's great if he doesn't need to remember who drew them.

Depending on his cognitive level, books or snacks he can keep in his room.
    Pictures are great too!

My mom is in an assisted living facility and we also bring her some magazines and she enjoys those also as well as the above suggestions.

Edited to clarify...I missed the "memory care center" part of your post. Sorry about that. So snacks in his room and books are probably out. Pictures are good for sure, photo albums, etc. Also music if he in to that, which has already been suggested.
    Last edited by jerseygirl07067; 10-24-2019 at 06:03 PM.