Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wildly fluctuating thyroid levels?

Hi all,

I posted about 2 weeks ago when I first got my results in another thread but I'm starting my own thread now. My doc had me wait 2 weeks and re-test and my numbers have fluctuated dramatically. Even she was surprised.

TSH: 7.93 2 weeks ago but now 2.50 (was 3.95 back on 717/15)
    T4, Free: 1.20 and now 1.23
    Anti-TPO antibodies: 240.6 and now 226.2
    Thyroglobulin: 9.4 now 8.5

My mom has a thyroid issue (which she just told me about I shared with her my test results 2 weeks ago) so there may be a genetic link. But how does a TSH go from 3.95 (in 2015) to 7.93 and then 2.50?

My doc wants me to wait 6 months now and then re-test again. Should I be more aggressive and visit an endocrinologist? I chalked up all my symptoms to being older (e.g., gaining weight, irregular menstrual cycles, joint/muscle achiness/sensitivity, fatigue, running cold more than I used to, etc.).

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and advice!

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

You may have Hashimotos thyroid disease. It fluctuates thyroid levels .. see endocrinologist

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    Hi all,

I posted about 2 weeks ago when I first got my results in another thread but I'm starting my own thread now. My doc had me wait 2 weeks and re-test and my numbers have fluctuated dramatically. Even she was surprised.

TSH: 7.93 2 weeks ago but now 2.50 (was 3.95 back on 717/15)
    T4, Free: 1.20 and now 1.23
    Anti-TPO antibodies: 240.6 and now 226.2
    Thyroglobulin: 9.4 now 8.5

My mom has a thyroid issue (which she just told me about I shared with her my test results 2 weeks ago) so there may be a genetic link. But how does a TSH go from 3.95 (in 2015) to 7.93 and then 2.50?

My doc wants me to wait 6 months now and then re-test again. Should I be more aggressive and visit an endocrinologist? I chalked up all my symptoms to being older (e.g., gaining weight, irregular menstrual cycles, joint/muscle achiness/sensitivity, fatigue, running cold more than I used to, etc.).

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and advice!
    I would definitely visit an endocrinologist. Even a TSH of 2.5 can be considered too high.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

See an endo. Or functional med doctor. It drives me crazy but regular doctors can’t seem to manage thyroids.

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    You may have Hashimotos thyroid disease. It fluctuates thyroid levels .. see endocrinologist

I agree. I would go see an endocrinologist. You should not have to wait 6 months and test again just because your pcp isn't familiar with treating thyroid issues.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post

Yep, definitely my first thought. My mom has Hashi's and I have Graves. Definitely make an appt with an endo. It took years for my mom to get diagnosed since she kept seeing her PCP who didn't see it as a big deal.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m very interested in this topic as we are going through it with my mom- her levels fluctuate and we can’t seem to stabilize it. I suggest going to an endocrinologist for sure. I’ll pm you later.

Thanks, all. Sorry for being MIA, had to work late last night and have been trying to catch up on other tasks, too. I'll look into scheduling an appt. with an endo. I agree that it feels too conservative to wait another 6 months.

Updating my own thread: after I googled and found an endocrinology clinic at a major research university and pushed my PCP to give me a referral, the clinic finally called me today to say that they don't treat patients with autoimmune thyroid issues. UGH! Back to square one since my PCP doesn't have a referral. I would think this is a straightforward diagnosis. How do you find a good endocrinologist if your PCP doesn't recommend someone?

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

When I had an endocrine issue, I found a dedicated FB group for that issue and they had lots of recommendations. But I knew what my diagnosis was, I just needed a doctor who would actually listen.

Maybe others who have struggled with autoimmune endocrine issues would have a fb group recommendation?
    Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    Updating my own thread: after I googled and found an endocrinology clinic at a major research university and pushed my PCP to give me a referral, the clinic finally called me today to say that they don't treat patients with autoimmune thyroid issues. UGH! Back to square one since my PCP doesn't have a referral. I would think this is a straightforward diagnosis. How do you find a good endocrinologist if your PCP doesn't recommend someone?
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast