petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Help woth DS's forgetfulness

I need ideas on how to help DS remember to bring his lunchbox home from school. After lunch all the students put their lunches in a tote bucket and head straight to recess. Then they are supposed to stop by the lunchroom after school and get their lunchbox from the class tote. He rarely remembers and then when I send him in to look for his lunchbox he often says he can't find it. Today he brought home 3 lunchboxes with tupperware in that I just assumed were gone forever and of course the food was growing all sorts of things. I hate using a ton of plastic bags but I'm not going to keep throwing away nice food storage containers either. Is there some strategy we can implement that will help him bring them home everyday?
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Can you go back into the lunchroom to find it? Do they send a group of kids to get their boxes or the kids are just supposed to do it? I can assure you that my kids can't see what is right in front of their faces half the time--and they are teenagers. I honestly think this is a bad design on the school's part. I can imagine that lots of kids forget to do this. It's at the end of the day and they just want to go home. The only other thing I can think of is to paste a bright sticky note in his cubby at school that says--"Get your lunchbox".
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can you put a special tie on his zipper of his backpack to reminder him to go get his lunch? That way every time he zips his bag to go at the end of the day, he will see and feel the reminder to go get his lunchbox.
    K

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Can you put a special tie on his zipper of his backpack to reminder him to go get his lunch? That way every time he zips his bag to go at the end of the day, he will see and feel the reminder to go get his lunchbox.
    This was my thought as well. I was thinking of a key ring with a small bell attached to give him both a visual and auditory reminder.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Brown paper bag it and plastic baggies until he passes this phase.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Yep. I got tired of wasting good stuff on ds1. Yes, having all the disposable stuff isn;t ideal but it isn't ideal to lose or waste good stuff. They make waxed paper baggies- that's what we use.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    Yep. Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08